utorrent can cause connection to drop with ZTE W300 Router

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 2 of 2
by dane » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:18 pm
Yes, Pace purchased 2Wire a few years ago, and they continue to use both names for some products. The Fusion residential gateway we will be shipping is the Pace model 4111N.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by fmc » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:32 pm
dane wrote: Yes, the new equipment will be integrated with the product, and a mandatory part of new service. This is a trend you will see with many service providers, for example AT&T's UVerse product.
I'm conflicted. I'm old enough to remember divestiture, and when you could stop renting your phone from Mother. And after my last go-round with a failing DSL modem and feeling like I had to lean on the poor support guy to get him to sell me a replacement that I was happy to pay for, I keep a cold spare and test it once in a while.

$78/yr seems a little steep. Maybe it isn't, compared to the cost of the Airport Extreme Base Station and Airport Express over by the stereo. Those things seem to last four years or so, and they don't so much fail outright as start to be annoying (iffy wiffy and needing the occasional reboot).

Completely unrelated, but as long as I'm being picky, what's with the prohibition on modem-to-modem calls on Fusion dial-tone? It's not like I have a desire to do a lot of that sort of thing, but I can see myself calling a BBS if one were to come to my attention. Maybe twice if I like it, but past experience is that it'll probably be too dead for me to like it. And I've got some Telebit Trailblazers that need testing, and maybe actual use if someone really fat-fingers BGP.
by dane » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:26 pm
The modem calling restriction is a side effect of the unlimited nationwide calling. We budget for 300-500 minutes a month average, and dialup activities could blow this out of the water. Rather than limit minutes, we limit specific categories of usage. The concern isn't BBS usage, it's someone setting up a fax broadcast service or something similar.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by daugustine » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:37 am
I can see the advantages of carrier manageable CPE, but effectively it's a 16% rate increase mostly for features I personally would never use. For those techy customers who wish to use their own router/firewall/Wi-Fi devices, could a cheaper version of Sonic-rented CPE be offered? This will provide manageability Sonic tech support needs and not saddle the customer with unnessesary fees.
by dane » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:52 pm
daugustine wrote:I can see the advantages of carrier manageable CPE, but effectively it's a 16% rate increase mostly for features I personally would never use. For those techy customers who wish to use their own router/firewall/Wi-Fi devices, could a cheaper version of Sonic-rented CPE be offered? This will provide manageability Sonic tech support needs and not saddle the customer with unnessesary fees.
I think you'll see the costs head back down in the end. Fusion has gotten more expensive for new customers, while remaining the same cost for existing due to activation, installation and equipment fees. Now we're at our cost apex, and you will begin to see us turning the dials the other way as the economics of delivery shift. The change also allows for an Apples-to-Apples comparison between competing products; both of the competitors have an equipment fee, and it is tough for us to compete on apparent price without one. Yes, kinda lame, I know.

Plus - owning the equipment lets us assure it works (replace it, etc), manage it going forward and more. It also lets us invest in better gear, because it's a long term asset, not something we give away at lowest possible cost to every new customer.

Clearly, there are pros and cons, but I think this will work out very well in the long term for customers and the company alike.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
16 posts Page 2 of 2