5268ac problems

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by chandos » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:46 am
For many years i have had 1 static ip and a 5168 pace bonded modem in bridge mode. Behind is an asus rt-ac66u with ports forwarded and a network including a synology nas with many features such as web hosting, peronal dns, and mail server.
All was well untill yesterday.

I picked ul a new 5268 and have had little or no service sinve trying to configute with help of patient, willing Sonic support. After at least 3 hours phone time and 2 different 5268's i cannot even get the 5168 to work. I'm sending this this via cell phone. Usual erro message on my computer, even when directly wired, is dns server (sonic) cant be reached.

There seems to be some confusion about how to config the 5268 for static ip. And bridge. I recall when I originally put 5168 in bridge, sonic had to do something to force or permit this change. AFAIK, no one is doing anything similar for me now. All the dozens of configs we've tried have no connectivity. Service light does not come on though both broadband connections sync.

Factory resets of BOTH rentals now seem ineffective. I would love just to have my old system...which worked for years with 5168 in bridge, but no support person seems to know how to do that either. They have tried diligently but i now have zero service.

Please help.

chandos
by miken » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:02 am
Bridging the 5268AC disables it's ability to route - meaning you can't set it up with a Static IP. If you had the 5168N set up with a Static IP address, then maybe instead of bridging you mean you want to turn off the wireless interfaces?
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by chandos » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:20 am
Thx for response. Both techs i spoke to instructed me to set stat ip and disable routing (i.e. bridge mode) when that didnt work i tried to use bridge w/o static ip specified in the 5268. That is where i am now and it doesnt work either.....

I can reach my router but router has no inet service. Error msg says "device [windows adapter] correctly configured but dns server [set to sonic on my router] not responding".

So no connectivity.
Can we talk?

George (w sonic 15years+)
by miken » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:29 am
I would recommend factory restoring your Pace by holding the reset button on the back. The power light will go from green to a flashing red. Continue to hold the button down until the power light turns green again (about 30 seconds) and give it 10 minutes to reset and boot back up. Once it finishes, configure it for your Static IP and you should be good to go. If you want, you can disable the wireless interfaces so they don't broadcast. Bridging the modem though will stop it from handling IP addresses, including the Static. You can definitely bridge it, but you'd need to configure the router behind it for a Static IP, which it currently doesn't sound like it's set up to do and is not something we can help you configure.

Luckily, due to the way our Pace is configured, you shouldn't see any double NAT issues even if the router you have behind the Pace is not bridged. Also, I see that the original reason you called was due to wanting to try IPv6 on the Pace - that requires the Pace not be bridged anyway.

So I'm not sure if there's some drop in communication when it comes to what bridging is and does or if your router is having a problem with it's Static IP configuration, but the above should help you set things up and get everything working.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by chandos » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:36 am
Thx Mike.

I have tried fac resets several times. No vi. The router has always been set for stat ip since i first got a stat ip frim sonuc. 5168 was set in bridge w/o wifi...sonic helped me do this specifically. It worked just fine until yesterday.

I teslly would just like to get that back. Please
by chandos » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:35 am
Hi Mike

As you may have heard, Jan fixed my issue with the 5260 +static ip and separate personal router. The solution was to activate a LAN port on the 5260 and leave it in routing......not bridged...mode. Also, it appears not to require setting to static ip. As I mentioned, i ve had my router set up and working in static (with the 5160 bridged) for many years.

Thanks to you and all the Sonic staff. If you invite me to the party at the end of the month, i'll bring premium Fiji water, or whatever...

chandos
6 posts Page 1 of 1