Connecting to VPN on Windows 8

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by aaronchang » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:20 pm
So I was suffering a bit trying to connect to the VPN. I kept getting an error failing to enable the virtual adapter. After a lot of tinkering, re-installs, compatibility modes, etc... I found a way to connect.

This will require the editing of the Windows registry. I won't post any warnings, given that Windows 8 is not something you should have valuable information on, given that it is a preview.

- Make sure the Cisco VPN Client is closed.
- Press Windows Key + R and type in regedit and press ENTER.
- The Windows Registry will appear. The column on the left will have a few folders displaying, navigate your way to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CVirtA
- Double-click on DisplayName in the right column.

- For 32-bit, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter”.

- For 64-bit, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows

- Apply the new setting, close the registry, and try connecting again.
by aaronchang » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:24 pm
Just for clarification, 32-bit and 64-bit means the version of Windows 8 installed on your computer.
2 posts Page 1 of 1