Fusion good for russian hill area in san francisco?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by Milardo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:59 am
Hi, I live in San Francisco, CA in the Russian Hill area near the famous crooked or curved part of lombard street. Anyways, would fusion be good for internet? How fast would it be? What would be a typical download speed if I am using firefox and downloading from a site like nvidia.com for drivers? (reliable site to test download speed). Can i watch movies in hd from netflix and use multiple devices on my router? Also, can I play online games without noticeable lag. Also, I want to view my ip camera too, it is a live stream. Lastly, for now, what would be an approximate total cost for the fusion and phone service? I would be switching from at@t. Oh yeah, would this service be faster than 4g sprint mobile broadband in that area? Thanks for all great replies.
by thulsa_doom » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:53 pm
We have customers within a block of the super-windy part of Lombard that are getting 4mbps, but the speeds are highly variable. Down around the 500 block of Lombard they're getting over twice that.

As for online gaming, lag is more a function of latency than raw bandwidth. I've personally been quite happy with my Fusion circuit for those purposes. HD streaming on Netflix requires about 5mbps total for a single stream at full quality with no mid-stream buffering. We cannot guarantee a particular speed to a particular location in advance, as the distance and line conditions factor in so heavily to what speeds can actually be delivered.

The total monthly cost for residential Fusion service in San Francisco is $52.72 (of which $12.77 are taxes and fees).
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by phybron » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:56 am
I just got a connection with Sonic in Russian Hill and I'm getting just over 2Mbps at best. Netflix works, but if that's streaming on one machine there's not much left over. So I guess you might be lucky, and it's worth a try to avoid AT&T or Comcast, but I'm not sure it's worth it overall unfortunately.

This is actually the slowest connection I've had since dial-up I think.
by milardo » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:10 am
So I signed up and I'm only getting tops 1.988 kbps(firefox download speed 200KB/s). I thought I would be getting 625KB/s. I'm having a technician come up and check things out on July 1st or sooner. I hope there are changes to be made to get higher speeds, I'm not very happy with what I'm getting right now. I am at the corner of Jones/Greenwich, does anybody know how close to 500 block of Lombard that is, and is what I'm getting good or too slow?
by phybron » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:19 pm
I'm half a block up Greenwich from you and am getting similar speeds as I said above. I called support the other day and they made some adjustments but it hasn't helped enough to be viable unfortunately. I could live with 5 or 6 Mbps, but 2.2Mbps at best isn't going to cut it, so I've had to cancel.

Bit of a shame having paid $162 in installation charges, but I'm glad I tried Sonic first and will no doubt return if fiber ever happens. Trying Comcast next :shock:
by mschueler » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:22 pm
I'm no expert or anything, but why would windy conditions degrade the connection / add interference?

Although, I guess if you have an existing problem, like if the cable being loose or not grounded well, adding wind into the equation would exacerbate the problem.

Is that accurate?
by dane » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:10 pm
mschueler wrote:I'm no expert or anything, but why would windy conditions degrade the connection / add interference?

Although, I guess if you have an existing problem, like if the cable being loose or not grounded well, adding wind into the equation would exacerbate the problem.

Is that accurate?
Yes - wind certainly shouldn't affect a customer circuit, and if it did, something is quite wrong and needs to be fixed.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by thulsa_doom » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:28 pm
mschueler wrote:I'm no expert or anything, but why would windy conditions degrade the connection / add interference?

Is that accurate?
Wind buffeting a drop can cause a physically-deteriorated drop to introduce noise onto a connection. In such cases the cabling needs to be swapped out and properly re-installed. I'm pretty sure we were just talking about the other kind of "windy," though:

English lays land-mines like this all over the place.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by dane » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:34 pm
:)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
9 posts Page 1 of 1