Intermittent lag spikes, san francisco fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by curtiswon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:50 am
Run with two hosts on my network, started 7/1 12:45AM.

Computer: http://www.speedtest.net/result/7436637869 http://www.speedtest.net/result/7436632214
Server CLI:

Code: Select all

./scripts/speedtest
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from Sonic.net (198.27.242.138)...
Selecting best server based on latency...
Hosted by Unwired (San Francisco, CA) [6.71 km]: 578.413 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 6.78 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 56.31 Mbit/s
How often does this happen and why does it happen, could it be my router?

Back to normal minutes later: http://www.speedtest.net/result/7436764555
by dane » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:15 am
This is from an Ethernet connected computer, plugged directly into the Sonic router?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by curtiswon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:31 pm
They're both ethernet connected behind a non sonic router
by dane » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:20 pm
curtiswon wrote:They're both ethernet connected behind a non sonic router
Maybe it's the router?

Basically the process is to eliminate potential sources of slowdown, until it becomes clear where the issue is. And yes, one issue could be congestion somewhere in our network, but generally that's far less common than client-side LAN, PC, browser, antivirus, USB dongle, wiring, router, WiFi etc issues. Oh, and far side can also be a delay, sometimes folks will see "site X goes slow", but it's the site's host, not the Sonic network.

So basically in broad categories, issues are near (inside your home), middle (Sonic's equipment or network) or far (the site or resource you are connecting to). Gotta begin to narrow that down.

Support can assist of course, so if you'd prefer to dig into it with someone here, do call or text them. Of course, intermittent issues are a big challenge because they're not easily reproduced, so patience is important as we all work together to try to nail down a cause.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by curtiswon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:06 pm
I guess I can connect my device directly to ONT to limit the variables for cause.

Are there any monitoring tools on your end that can detect such congestion?

Maybe I can set one up on my raspi just to see if it's a common thing or one-off
by bubba198 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:17 pm
I would also be very interested to see credible stats on the ISP end, many big boys do publish real time data points about traffic, it isn't anything to be ashamed of - it is helpful to plug such data into one's process of elimination so we don't pound heads onto a blank wall. These things happen, everyone knows that nothing is perfect :)
6 posts Page 1 of 1