Silly questions about Fusion provisioning

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by bgamble » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:38 pm
To put this in context, my understanding of DSL provisioning dates to the days when you could either get a voice line from PacBell or a data line from Covad. Fail to stay current, and everything old is n00b again...

Anyway, is Good Old ADSL still contingent on maintaining a now-AT&T-CA voice line? And do I correctly understand that Fusion cuts the ILEC entirely out of the picture (except, presumably, for the copper)? And that the Fusion voice component is regular old PSTN, not VOIP?

[little tear'o'joy wells up at the thought of replacing AT&T with Sonic as my phone company]

If so, I guess the only part I don't understand is how Sonic switches the voice traffic. Not that I need to understand, but when approaching a product that seems too good to be true, one hesitates to leave bases uncovered.
by joemuller » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:05 pm
I'm no *expert*, but I'll take a shot: ;)
bgamble wrote:Anyway, is Good Old ADSL still contingent on maintaining a now-AT&T-CA voice line?
Well, Sonic.net's DSL is dependent on there being an existing copper telephone line, though it can also be a dry line. (no dial tone and voltage from the CO) So a line does need to be in place to get *any* form of DSL.
bgamble wrote:And do I correctly understand that Fusion cuts the ILEC entirely out of the picture (except, presumably, for the copper)? And that the Fusion voice component is regular old PSTN, not VOIP?
Pretty much. Provided you can be serviced direct from the CO, we patch over to our equipment instead of AT&T's. The phone service is good 'ol POTS - no VOIP. (Well, some on the back end for international calls, but none on the customer end.)
bgamble wrote:If so, I guess the only part I don't understand is how Sonic switches the voice traffic. Not that I need to understand, but when approaching a product that seems too good to be true, one hesitates to leave bases uncovered.
Not sure on the details - hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will post more here.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
2 posts Page 1 of 1