Extending WIFI to cottage at back of the property

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
26 posts Page 1 of 3
by susanjom » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:41 pm
My WIFI signal gets to the cottage at the back of the property but not well enough to really use. I am expecting guests soon and would like to boost/extend the signal so they can use it. My router is the Pace 4111N. Can you recommend an extender ?
by guest » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:33 pm
Depends on how far the cottage is from your house and router. If running Cat 6 or fiber to the cottage isn't an option I would disable WiFi on the Pace and purchase a UniFi AC-LR AP for this purpose. Try to centrally locate the LR and test WiFi coverage at your cottage (keep in mind the LR will need to be wired to the Pace).

If that alone won't reach reliably then add an outdoor UniFi UAP-AC-M to the exterior (preferred) or interior wall closest to the cottage. These APs work off PoE using a Cat 5e or 6 cable so you don't need AC next to them. A wired connection from the Pace to the second AP is always best but if that's not possible just enable the wireless uplink setting on the LR and you'll have your "extender" in the UAP-AC-M but much better than your typical consumer extenders. Unlike a traditional router with an embedded webserver, all WiFi configuration is done through UniFi's free software app using your PC or phone but is really simple.

Good luck.
by susanjom » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:43 am
Thank you.
I will try that.
by susanjom » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:49 am
by guest » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:19 pm
Yep, that's it. Don't forget to grab the latest UniFi controller for your PC to set it up (assuming you're using Windows):

https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/5.8.24/UniFi-installer.exe
by susanjom » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:41 am
Yup. Windows. And thank you again.
by ngufra » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:35 am
If the cottage is running off the same electric meter, you could use a power line extender.
by susanjom » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:45 am
I was going to ask for more details about that suggestion (power extender), but then I realized that it is not in fact on the same meter, so....thanks but that won't work for me. The Ubiquiti gizmo should be arriving today, so I will be able to test that out soon.
by susanjom » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:55 pm
Okay, it's always not as clear as I thought it was when I said "got it", so now that I have both the Pace111N and the Ubiquiti Unifi AC-LR in front of me, I don't know what to do.

I have an Ethernet cable from the Pace to my desktop computer right now.
Does the Ubi go between those two? or do I need another Ethernet cable to go from the Pace to the Ubi?
by timyu94 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:56 pm
susanjom wrote:Okay, it's always not as clear as I thought it was when I said "got it", so now that I have both the Pace111N and the Ubiquiti Unifi AC-LR in front of me, I don't know what to do.

I have an Ethernet cable from the Pace to my desktop computer right now.
Does the Ubi go between those two? or do I need another Ethernet cable to go from the Pace to the Ubi?
Plug an ethernet cable from the pace router to the included Power over Ethernet injector. Then plug another ethernet cable from the poe injector into the AC Lite.

On a computer (mac, pc, linux, etc) or on the cloud key or a virtual machine, install and run the Unifi Controller.

On a computer or desktop, you then run the UBNT discovery tool and adopt the AC LR into the Unifi Controller where you can configure it as you please.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles ... ontrollers

See this crosstalk solutions video on configuring a Unifi access point).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rfX_ugdGXA
26 posts Page 1 of 3