Extending WIFI to cottage at back of the property

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
26 posts Page 2 of 3
by guest » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:09 pm
timyu94 summed it up pretty well but you shouldn't need to SSH into the UniFi AP per that youtube video link. The AP will obtain an IP address via DHCP from the Pace modem once properly connected (see steps below). You can see which IP the Pace assigns the AP by logging into your Pace modem from your PC.... Look for DHCP clients/network devices or something similar if the UniFi controller doesn't automatically detect it after installation. And don't forget to disable WiFi on the Pace once the AP is setup and configured.

6 steps to 'make it work':

1) Connect an ethernet cable from the Pace modem to the included UniFi PoE injector's "LAN" port.
2) Connect a second ethernet cable from the PoE injectors "POE" port to the UniFi AP. This cable can be fairly lengthy if needed and it's recommended (but not required) to mount the AP high on a wall or from the ceiling if possible for best coverage. If you've ever fished a cable this shouldn't be too hard.
3) Plug in the PoE injectors power cord to an electrical outlet. You should now see the AP light up.
4) Install the UniFi Controller software on your PC in the link I provided in my last post. You'll also need Java installed if not already: https://java.com/en/download/
5) Once installation completes and you run the controller from the icon on your desktop, the wizard will walk you through the setup including setting up your WiFi SSID name, password, etc. There are many settings you can play with but shouldn't need to other than adjusting the wireless channels if you experience interference.
6) Don't forget to 'adopt' the AP from the controller if the wizard doesn't walk you through this step. Click on devices on the left pane of the controller and see if it's listed. If not, you can specify the IP listed in your Pace modem network devices page or use the discovery tool that timyu94 mentioned: https://www.ubnt.com/downloads/tools/be ... covery.zip

This may seem complex but it's pretty simple and once setup properly you shouldn't need to touch it again except for controller and firmware updates. The controller only needs to run to make changes or updates - the AP will continue to function when the controller is not running.

UniFi tech support is also very helpful by the way...

Best of luck!!
by susanjom@sonic.net » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:12 pm
Well I'm stuck. I cannot seem to figure out how to discontinue my Pace 4111N from doing the wireless work.
I've gone to the admin site 192.168.42.1 and tried and tried to dis-enable wireless, ....to no avail.

More help would be appreciated.
Nothing is quite as simple as hoped for.
by susanjom » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:28 pm
Okay. Progress.
It's working, but not well enough to listen to Pandora back there. Guess I need a second unit. I'll go for that next. Thanks for all your patience and help.
by SonicUser » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:19 pm
How far away is the cottage? Here's some other tips that may or may not help :)
1.) Disable the wifi on the pace since it's not being use and could cause interference.
2.) Try different temp locations as close to the cottage as possible for the best signal. 100ft Lan cables work nicely for this.
3.) Connect to the 2.4GHz Ubiquiti AP since this gives the best range. 5GHz gives better bandwidth but shorter range.
4.) Try different channels based on usage in controller.
5.) Readup on uplinking while waiting for your 2nd Ubiquiti :)
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles ... k-topology
by susanjom » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 am
Thanks again (and again and again).

I know that I have done something right because all of my wireless stuff (laptop, ROKU) has requested a new address and been set up to get its signal from the Ubi.

The cottage is still out of range. No, that's not true. I get 2 bars, but not enough to load any internet pages this morning. And, no, I haven't yet tried the various things mentioned in the most recent posts regarding changing any settings, but forgive me that for now and see if my next question makes sense first (please and thank you).

I would like to figure out if the Ubi and the other Ubi will work before I actually mount them. Right. So, for now the Ubi is sitting on my printer right by the window which faces West to the cottage which is at the back of my 1/2 acre. Where do you think is the best temporary place to put it while I assess its ability to do this job? I could probably do a temporary tape job to the ceiling, but it seems to me that would actually put it farther out of the 'sight line' to the cottage than it is now just 2' inside the window.
by susanjom » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:47 am
Also, I am getting this message when I open the Uni controller:
"UniFi Security Gateway Required. Please install...."
Can you shed some light on this?
by ngufra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:16 pm
Placing it high usually help.

A strong transveiver and good antenna on the access point is good, but you also need the same on the device. You can get some high powered usb wifi adapters (search amazon for "alfa wifi" for example)

Try using an app like inSSIDer or wifi heat map to see how the signal propagates in your house/cottage.
inSSIDer will also show you if your neighbor near the cottage i using the same frequencies.
by susanjom » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:22 pm
Ah, up high. Good point. I will get a longer ethernet cable and tape it to the ceiling.

As for an earlier question, the cottage is about 100' to the west of this office. There are no intervening walls or buildings, but there is rather a lot of shrubbery....roses and other plant life.
by ngufra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:53 pm
Personally, i would just dig a trench, bury a conduit and run a cable in it.
Wires tend to be more reliable than wifi.

I understand it may be more difficult/expensive but in the long run i think you will prefer that.
by susanjom » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:12 pm
Which would mean I wouldn't need these two Ubi's, right? I'd just hard wire it to the Pace?
I think I'm getting the impression that at best this is not going to work very well.
Although I will have to get someone else to trench for me, I do think that is the better solution.

How deep would that trenching need to be?
26 posts Page 2 of 3