Extending WIFI to cottage at back of the property

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
26 posts Page 3 of 3
by ngufra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:21 pm
You could use ONE access point on the other side. so you get wired or wireless access from there. Say if you want to put a wired printer, etc

Depth of trench: it depend if you want to do it by building code,if you bury cable directly or in a metal/plastic conduit; under concrete etc.

In a metal conduit, 6 inches should be ok (can be less (4 inches) under concrete) less may be fine if you don't care about code.
While you are at it put a second conduit in case you need it later.

Maybe there is already a conduit you could reuse.
by susanjom » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:30 pm
So as not to waste anyone else's time, you should know that I am disconnecting this and sending it all back.
The cottage will just have to do without.
I'm sure it can be accomplished, but for me it is too hard and too expensive, and has already taken up more of my (and your) time than I can justify.

There will just be a place on the property that is....gasp....not connected :o
by timyu94 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:32 pm
susanjom wrote:Which would mean I wouldn't need these two Ubi's, right? I'd just hard wire it to the Pace?
I think I'm getting the impression that at best this is not going to work very well.
Although I will have to get someone else to trench for me, I do think that is the better solution.

How deep would that trenching need to be?
A simpler and reliable setup would be to use a point to point wireless bridge from your residence to the cottage if you have line of sight.

ie 2 nanostation AC locos (https://smile.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NanoS ... anostation).

One would be connected to your router via an ethernet cable aimed at another that would be set up at the cottage. The two units create a wireless link and on the cottage side there will be an ethernet output that you can connect an access point like the AC Lite LR you have.

So in this case it would be:
Pace --> Ethernet --> PoE Injector --> Nanostation 5 Ghz @ House --> (wireless bridge) --> Nanostation 5 GHz AC @ Cottage -->ethernet --> Poe injector --> ethernet --> (switch?) --> ethernet --> poe injector --> ethernet --> AC Lite LR
by susanjom » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:36 pm
I think I have probably planted too many roses, lilac, wisteria between here and there for anything wireless to work, and I know that it's not realistic to think I will dig a trench from here to there. So....as I said....I'm throwing in the towel. I'm probably just a wimp, but .... so be it.... :oops:
by digitalbitstream » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:46 pm
Yeah, someone with experience can just make this work.
The nanostations are rather overpowered for what you're trying to do.
Hire someone?
by susanjom » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 pm
Thank you for that information (about the nanostations being overpowered).
For now I will let the project languish.
Next time I get a notion I will consider hiring someone....but that's another subject:
how do you find the sort of person/company who knows how to do that?
26 posts Page 3 of 3