Please Add Support Threads, Please Send Real Help

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by ivan.dabbles » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:31 pm
I'm a Fiber customer, and recently have experienced a precipitous drop off in range. Where we used to be able to access wifi throughout our house, it's now limited to the back half of the house. The front of the house (living room), is spotty AT BEST, and typically just not really getting much of a signal.

I've sent now several (7? 8?) emails to Sonic, and with each response, I'm getting different, often conflicting advice, on how to improve the situation.

Couple things:
1. First off, It seems that my replies emails from Sonic actually initiate a new threads there's no consistency. One sonic rep doesn't seem to know what the previous threads contained. I'm not exaggerating when I say I've received 3 totally different pieces of advice, and today, got an email that negates ALL OF THEM. I'm so confused, and I can't get help.

2. I would appreciate it if Sonic could acknowledge and assist with the drop in range. Every piece of advice I get seems to gloss over the change in range, and I've not heard one suggestion on how SONIC might work to fix it.

3. I have an ethernet cable running from the router to our living room (which is plugged into our Roku), I just want to use that cable to make our network more robust. I'd like to use an old airport base station we have lying around as another wireless hub. I've been told it's possible by one technician, but when I asked if I'm doing it right, a new customer service rep said it's "not recommended". No idea who to believe.

4. If Sonic can't work to get the network back to the range it had just 8 months ago, AND it can't help me extend the network, what are my options?

I hate comcast with a passion, and I would never pretend to prefer them, but for sure our network was reliable throughout the house when we had them.

NOTE: Same exact location of router/modem, same exact furniture and wall configuration. No new interferences, no new anything. Just a drop off in range.
by miken » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:36 pm
If you have an ongoing issue you should reply to our responses and not modify the subject line of the email - if you do that the ticket will just open and re-update.

As for the drop in range, it could be a failing antenna on your router. This is not very common. More commonly, a neighbor or someone else nearby may have added a device that is adding to the local interference. If you are renting equipment from us, we can send a replacement router to see if a failing antenna is the issue, just give Support a quick call.

Running an Ethernet cable to your living room is great! Hardwiring is a much better way to network your home. If possible, I'd recommend buying a network switch and plugging in as many things as you can through Ethernet (desk computers, TV, gaming consoles, etc). Whereas with wireless, speeds and connection are expected to fluctuate, Ethernet will give you a constant speed based on your bandwidth. Since you are on Fiber, the speed limitation will be more on your equipment opening apps and programs rather than your Internet speed.

Connecting routers (like an Airport) is probably not the best idea due to double NAT. You can give it a shot and see what happens. Worst case scenario, unplug it and reboot your devices and any adverse issues from double NAT should be gone. You'd be better with a mesh network like the Eero. The difference being that the Airport is a full blown router, meant to be a singular device routing data from your local network to the Internet. While you can make them into access points, its not what they were originally meant for. Eero and other similar mesh networks were designed with having a base station and multiple 'satellite' stations spread across the home to provide better wireless connection.

Post ended up longer than I had anticipated. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by ivan.dabbles » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:41 pm
Thanks for the reply.

Of course I definitely reply to the emails in an effort to maintain the thread, but the way the system seems to work: when I reply, I get the automated confirmation, and the next email that comes doesn't have my original email in it, and definitely doesn't have the previous several emails, so each one appears as a new thread (at least in my inbox). Perhaps you guys are seeing it all in one thread, but I'm not, and given the huge variance in answers, it didn't appear that it was treated as a single issue.

The question I have about the additional (Apple) router, and for which I'm having a hard time getting any info, is this:
Since it's plugged in directly to the downstairs modem via ethernet cable, I'm unclear if when I set it up as an extension to our existing network, if that's happening over the air or via the ethernet. Again, just looking for some guidance on that.

Right now, it's set up, but the range hasn't improved, which leads me to believe it's being connected through the air. What I want is for it to be connected through the cable. And if I need to set that up through, say, Sonic software instead of Airport Utility, I can, but need a little guidance.

I don't know what double NAT is or means.
by sia » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:16 pm
You should be able to use Airport Express as access point, as follows:
- connect it via LAN port (not a WAN/uplink port)
- Network: Router Mode: Off (bridge mode)
- Internet: Connect using: DHCP
- Wireless: Create a network

Now, in the last item you can use same SSID/security mode/password you currently have on your wireless network (and rely on clients selecting AP by strength, which is what i'd recommend) or different SSID (which can be useful for experiments).
4 posts Page 1 of 1