Smart/RG Bridge Mode: Instructions unclear

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by rafe.needleman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:19 pm
I’m on Sonic gigabit fiber. It is awesome. But I think I need to change my gateway to Bridge Mode, as I am having trouble accessing my Plex server (running on a Synology NAS) remotely, and the best advice seems to be that having a double-NAT network, as I do now, is the likely culprit. I use Eero in my house, and the Synology is wired to one of the leaf nodes, behind my Smart/RG gateway, which is running mostly default settings (except that I turned off its WiFi).

Looking at the instructions, it seems like the way to convert the Smart/RG to bridge mode is to first determine if I’m running in ATM or PTM mode (whatever those are), but according to my system settings, I’m running both. Or maybe these instructions are for DSL, and don’t apply to me. Regardless, I don’t know what to do next… Advice pleeez?

(Come to think of it, do I even need the gateway? Can I just plug the ethernet cable that comes out of the ONT into my Eero?)

Thank you!

From my gateway:
by amayfield » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:52 pm
Using the Wiki article as a reference - under the Bridge Mode section for the step that directs you to 'Select the appropriate service type, either ATM or PTM, and click "Next" ' - on your Fiber connection you'll actually need to select "eth4/WAN" as the service type (rather than ATM or PTM), that should get you sorted. I'll update that wiki article to reflect this, apologies it wasn't in there already.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by rafe.needleman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:01 pm
Ok, thanks! Now can you confirm what I should put in the "VLAN TPID" field?

Or, like I said, can I just bypass the Sonic RG and run the wire straight from the fiber ONT to my Eero hub?

Thanks again...

by rafe.needleman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:43 pm
I finally had some time to experiment, so I tried bypassing the Sonic-supplied Smart/RG wireless router, and just plugging my Eero hub node straight into the ONT. Everything works fine, and my home Plex server is now accessible from the Web since it's no longer double-NATted.

Is there any reason NOT to keep things this way? I hear that Sonic can't troubleshoot since the Smart/RG is now offline, but if needed I guess I can always plug it back in...

Tanks
4 posts Page 1 of 1