94133-sonic fiber?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest26 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:18 pm
Any updates on sonic fiber being brought to SF-94133 area?
by edwizard » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:03 pm
Hey neighbor! I just made a thread asking the same question the other day.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6491

I think this means there's demand.
by guest26 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:47 am
Hi, I'm in Russian Hill area. I see plenty of utility poles here so I am wondering why Sonic hasn't deployed fiber where I am yet. No fast dsl service because too far from central office. Only comcast as a major provider which is unfortunate. Sonic, any eta on fiber here? I'm sure there are plenty of people who would sign up!
by guest26 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:18 am
Could we get a reply from sonic?
by m.harmon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:42 am
Quote below from the Bossman from another post but the short of it is we are working on it but can't give ETA's for regions. The more active subscribers in an area the easier it is to start building there.
Today Sonic reaches about one third of San Francisco homes, and uptake is critical in driving this further. So, even if we do not reach you yet, please spread the word, on Nextdoor, Facebook, and with friends and family.

For premises we haven't reached yet in regions with aerial utilities, we are continuing our construction, but we do end up with many gaps in coverage due to overloaded poles. And we have been unsuccessful at getting pole owners (either PG&E or AT&T, they jointly own and either can allow it) to let us reinforce the unsafe poles. A few consumers affected by this have already filed complaints with the California Public Utilities Commission via their website, so it is possible this might change in the future.

And for those served by underground utilities, the City of San Francisco's department of public works does not allow new trenchless utility construction, so any entity that doesn't have an existing conduit (AT&T and Comcast) will be unable to build fiber optic infrastructure to serve premises with underground lines. SF's board of supervisors is considering an ordinance that would require SF DPW to allow microtrenching, but the method would be limited to use in sidewalk areas only, which we don't believe will make it feasible to build a citywide fiber to the premise network.

We are committed to bringing fiber to all of our members, and will continue to expand our reach everywhere we can. Membership size is the critical driver for our capability to accomplish this, so please tell everyone about Sonic!
M. Harmon
Sonic Customer Support
by guest26 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:34 am
All i see are utility poles, where i am. As for users, sonic doesn't even allow dsl service anymore for my area as its way too far from central office and speeds are super slow. No fiber from att either and they havent upgraded even to fttn. Can dane comment on this?
by dane » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:53 am
guest26 wrote:All i see are utility poles, where i am. As for users, sonic doesn't even allow dsl service anymore for my area as its way too far from central office and speeds are super slow. No fiber from att either and they havent upgraded even to fttn. Can dane comment on this?
For competitive reasons, and also to limit letting folks down once full engineering is completed (because it often reveals overloaded poles in aerial regions), we do not publish information about specific locations where we are expanding our fiber coverage. Once we are far along enough in the process to begin taking orders for specific addresses we've done engineering to and are kicking off construction, we launch each area and initiate signups.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
7 posts Page 1 of 1