Sonic, LMI, Paxio fiber providers in Berkeley?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by bryanhaggerty » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:34 am
Sonic recently let me know that they would be doing installs in my neighborhood this month and that I should be getting a installation schedule request soon. Meanwhile I've also gotten door tags from LMI (a local Berkeley ISP) for fiber about it coming soon, and today I received a notice in the mail that Paxio (another fiber provider) would be doing construction on my street from August through September.

Will all 3 companies be running lines on the poles? Is LMI simply reselling Sonic service? Is Paxio possibly just the contractor doing utility pole installation? What's also odd is that I already see Paxio labelled wires on the poles in my area, they installed them about a year ago.
by dane » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:09 pm
Sonic and Paxio build fiber optic infrastructure. LMI is a local ISP reseller, who offers access over both networks.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bryanhaggerty » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:21 pm
Thank for the response Dane. Looks like Paxio is offering 1gbps for $99.50/month. Not particularly a competitive offer to Sonic.
by aanon4 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:55 pm
Funny isn't it - Berkeley's been crying out for good networking options for years, and this summer we suddenly have Sonic, Paxio and AT&T. I noticed Paxio putting up flyers down near the Vine St Peets last week, but they do appear more expensive.
by bryanhaggerty » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:15 am
Just got a letter that AT&T will be doing construction in my area (along Cedar and south of MLK) to build out their fiber network. When it rains it pours I guess. Definitely will not be going with AT&T though given their stance on net neutrality. Still looking forward to supporting Sonic when they arrive. Getting closer, support wires are up on my street now.
by aanon4 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:21 am
Yup. Support wires when in on my street a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed Sonic wiring up the cabinet on The Alameda & Monterey last Thursday - so getting closer. Mind you, given that area is scheduled for August delivery and my local cabinet shows no signs of life, I'm figuring September at the earliest for me, despite what the availability tool might claim.
6 posts Page 1 of 1