Pace gateway 5031NV update

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by paranoid » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:49 pm
Interested in updating your Pace gateway 5031NV ? Posting the process that worked for me, which hopefully helps others interested in good security hygiene of firmware updates. First step is to screenshot settings in the gateway, since AFAIK there is not a configuration backup mechanism. Record the Device Access Code (on label), and wifi password (on the other label :) ). Factory reset via settings>diagnostics. Yup. This is AT&T (via sonic support) recommendation. Access gateway, bask momentarily in the updated firmware, then get busy adding back in all the configuration.
by atwood » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:44 am
Thank for posting this @paranoid ! My understanding from Sonic tech support is that these are not receiving updates/patches as of this post. Any others with Fusion DSL from Sonic successful in getting AT&T to replace this Pace 5031NV with one that is supported (IIRC an DTW or BGW210) ?
by brandonc » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:04 am
atwood wrote:Thank for posting this @paranoid ! My understanding from Sonic tech support is that these are not receiving updates/patches as of this post. Any others with Fusion DSL from Sonic successful in getting AT&T to replace this Pace 5031NV with one that is supported (IIRC an DTW or BGW210) ?
Just to clarify, do you mean our IP Broadband service (resold AT&T)? You had said "Fusion DSL" in your post, but that service has equipment supplied directly from Sonic. If that's the case, we can easily send you a newer model modem.

If it is IP Broadband, then there's unfortunately not a guaranteed method of replacing/updating the equipment, as it is entirely dependent on the AT&T technicians decision. The best we could do in these situations is request an AT&T dispatch and report something vague like "Intermittent connection". Once the AT&T tech is on site, just explain that it's an old modem and ask to replace it. That seems to have been the best way to get AT&T to replace these old ones in my experience.

As far as I'm aware, they don't carry the Pace 5031NV's on hand anymore, so if they do swap it, it should be replaced with a BGW-210 or BGW-320.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by atwood » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:20 am
Thanks for the great response. I've had an outage with a dispatch scheduled, so will see if this process works. From my billing statement: Fusion IP Broadband Residential X1
by brandonc » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:23 am
You're welcome!

I'm sorry that you're also experiencing an outage right now. I hope that we can get you back online soon and with a pretty new modem to boot!

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by atwood » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:38 am
I'm likely stuck with this gateway, since AT&T is not root-causing the intermittent outage. Still concerned about vuln of this old thing, but virustotal and sans scans come back good.

2022dec12 update: AT&T actually showed up, found line was good, and replaced with a BGW210. The tech was quite helpful and the most cheerful AT&T person I've encountered in decades! :)
6 posts Page 1 of 1