Fusion vs other ISP DSL questions

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by Andrew Bailey » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:24 am
I'm currently using a DSL service that is marketed as 6Mbs/768Kbs and according to that ISP I can't get anything faster from them. If such is the case for my location (SF 94112) does that mean I will experience a similar ceiling with Fusion, or is it technically able to do better speeds than standard DSL?

My other question is that my current ISP requires I have a physical phone line to which I have to pay AT&T every month despite the fact that I don't use it. I understand that Fusion comes with phone and that's non-negotiable, but with Fusion, will I still have to pay AT&T for use of the actual line, or would I be able to completely cancel my AT&T service? My understanding was the DSL requires a landline, so I'm a little confused on how Fusion makes it so I don't have pay AT&T anything.

Thanks.
by rodrigo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:49 am
Does your current ISP offer anything faster than 6Mbps/768Kbps via DSL? Based on the plan description, and the fact that it goes over an AT&T line, it sounds like resold AT&T lineshare, where they are using ADSL1. Fusion can connect over ADSL2+, which is capable of much higher speed. Like any DSL, though, the speed you can get depends on your distance from the central office. However, if you're getting 6Mbps with your current provider, Fusion speed should be the same or higher. If you run a prequalification from our site, you can compare it against average speeds for that distance found in the graph on this page http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r269107 ... th-fusion-

As Fusion comes with its own phone line, you are not also required to maintain an AT&T land line with it. In fact, if you switch, we should be able to hot cut your existing line away from AT&T.
by Andrew Bailey » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:34 pm
I found out two things: 1) My current ISP is not ADSL2 (they don't even offer it in my area) and 2) I'm 8,667 feet the sonic.net local serving office.

My actual download is more around 4Mbps.

Does it seem like I would get much of a performance increase with sonic?
by rodrigo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:47 pm
Unfortunately, with that new information, it's pretty unclear. With a 6Mbps sync rate, one would normally expect practical speeds of about 5Mbps (640KBps). However, if you're seeing closer to 4, the sync may not actually be that high or there may be other issues affecting the speed. If the line is just not capable of syncing at 6Mbps or higher, then them's the facts. Because of Sonic's advanced profiling, Support may be able to squeeze more out of your line, but there's no way to know before making the jump.
by dane » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:23 pm
Well, it should be faster because Fusion is ADSL2+, versus the current connection you have is ADSL1. But, at that distance, Fusion averages about 6Mbps, so it may be a nominal increase. Only way to know is to try!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Andrew Bailey » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:29 pm
Does sonic.net plan to add more local serving offices around the area or are they a pretty much done thing?
by dane » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:57 pm
Currently we are building COs in Southern Cal - once that is complete we will evaluate next steps.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Andrew Bailey » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:53 am
Sorry, I'm full of questions.

I am definitely tempted to switch over to you guys. While it sounds like its a wash when it comes to the speeds, I would save money monthly switching, though I need to factor in the up front costs. I have a live AT&T voice line, so am I correct in the up front costs being $35 activation and $12 to ship the modem (plus whatever the taxes are on it)?

Other than the obvious downtime of me switching out the modems and setting it up, how much downtime would I experience switching to sonic if I currently have an active DSL connections over my AT&T line?

Thanks!
by dane » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:03 am
Yes, you've got the costs right - just the activation and shipping, and first month's service.

Downtime during the switch from AT&T landline and DSL to Fusion should be 15-20 minutes. You will likely need to either reconfigure your existing modem for DHCP, or plug in the equipment we provide.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by kkeller » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:33 pm
Andrew, you have additional advantages in switching to Fusion:

--Competent support
--Sonic deals with AT&T if necessary so you don't have to
--If you need it, you can get one static IP free

It is absolutely well worth the effort!
10 posts Page 1 of 1