Help Connecting with a Pace 4111N ATT&T model OR suggested easy to set up router?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by carrie.heim » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:43 pm
Hi Everyone,

I'm just OK with computers, but after spending an hour with customer service who couldn't help me connect to the Sonic service with my off the shelf modem ( i.e. the exact same model they use) I am hoping someone here might have some insight on getting it set up. I posted some details below if someone more knowledgeable might be able to help. Alternatively if anyone knows of a decent modem that will connect to Sonic straight out of the box please recommend - this is the second modem/router that hasn't connected and I do not want to pay a monthly fee to rent one from Sonic. Thanks.

History: We had an older router from Sonic that they installed when we got service that died out. We tried a cheap Trendnet router, but couldn't get it to work even with customer service help. Sonic sent us one of their modem/routers and it connected to our internet fine so customer service suggested we buy the Pace 4111N model as this is the same exact one they use and which I am now connected with in order to write this.

I got one a Pace 4111N from AT&T and am able to get a signal and all connectivity is lighting up on the front panel but my computer won't connect. Sonic customer service had me access the control panel online and we changed the connection type setting from PPPoE to whatever they use ( can't remember right now) as well as auto detecting things like IP,etc. Other than that nothing was switched and they couldn't figure out what to do so they suggested I come here.

If anyone has any insight or idea's please let me know. I'm happy to upload screen shots of the interface panels if someone thinks and are willing to help me trouble shoot - it would be more than gracious of you. As mentioned too, I am open to buying a modem that someone knows will work right out of the box like the Sonic one did - though I'm starting to have a feeling it's not going to be that easy...THANKS!
by ngufra » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:52 am
Hi Carrie

if you are using a PACE4111, your connection is ADSL (as opposed to VDSL)
Sonic has a page about setting up this model at https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Pace_4111N

I have an old ZTE ZXDSL 831 ][ that i got from sonic. Tag says it was made in 2011. I was using it until I replaced it with a VSDL modem so it should still work.
You can try it if you want (I am in Albany and work in SF). It is a modem, NOT a router. I am using my own router.

If you can't get the connection to work on your own, maybe the modem rental that a lot of people bitch about on the forum would be a good option for you.

-Francois
2 posts Page 1 of 1