Is Sonic Planning Static IP Option For Gigabit ?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
30 posts Page 1 of 3
by dkoronakos2 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:00 pm
I searched the forums and strangely didn't find a lot of recent messages about this - just a few.

Does anyone know if Sonic is planning to offer static IPs to gigabit fiber customers anytime soon ?

Static IPs would basically make it a perfect service. :)
by dane » Wed May 30, 2018 8:23 pm
No, we are not.

Residential gigabit fiber service is not for business or hosting use, and the vast majority of consumer applications no longer require static IP addressing.

Using a dynamic IP configuration also allows for a simpler, scaleable network architecture and straightforward management, key as we continue our rapid fiber network roll-out. Less complexity also reduces errors, increasing uptime.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by msandrof » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:29 am
That's understandable. But is there any port blocking? I'll be running DDNS when I get upgraded to Gigabit, mainly for personal services (ssh access, security cameras, etc) and would like to know if I'll need to be doing any port juggling,
by dane » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:48 am
msandrof wrote:That's understandable. But is there any port blocking? I'll be running DDNS when I get upgraded to Gigabit, mainly for personal services (ssh access, security cameras, etc) and would like to know if I'll need to be doing any port juggling,
As is typical with consumer services, SMTP is blocked, but everything is open aside from that.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by msandrof » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:02 pm
Oh, really? Which SMTP ports and in which directions, just 25? Can we get that unblocked? I've run an MTA for the better part of the last 18 years and would need to understand what impact this is going to have.
by ngufra » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:02 pm
i believe it's only port 25.
SMTP SSL variants work.

I also believe it can be enabled; i had a solar panel monitoring that sent email through an smtp server in Germany and sonic had re enabled it for me. that was many years ago.
by msandrof » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:36 pm
I’ve been on fusion for many years and haven’t had anything blocked. Most smtp traffic does run on the secure ports which is why it’s odd to block only 25.
by msandrof » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:38 am
I re-read my last post and realized I wasn't making sense. The upshot is I've been running an MTA for a very long time and for the entire time I've been with Sonic on Fusion. My outbound email is via a smarthost so there's no outbound 25 traffic. Inbound there are very few reasonable solutions that don't involve setting something up on AWS to forward traffic to a different port. I use extremely aggressive techniques to avoid intrusion and abuse including, but not limited to, fail2ban and dnsbls.

@Dane - is there an option to configure the inbound port blocking to allow 25 on the Gigabit offering?
by dane » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:48 am
No, there isn’t.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by msandrof » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:59 am
That's very disappointing. I originally went with Sonic because there were no caps and no port blocking. Why don't you just block port 25 on the Sonic routers? That would cover 99.99% of the cases. I realize you're going to say no to this, but Sonic was the last vestige of freedom for the home hobbyist. For me it means I have to give more money to either Google or Amazon to achieve what I want. :cry:
30 posts Page 1 of 3