Is Sonic Planning Static IP Option For Gigabit ?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
30 posts Page 3 of 3
by aaazen » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:45 am
dane wrote:No, there isn’t.
I also find this disappointing.

My current sonic FTTN with AT&T has port 25 is open in both directions.

After asking technical support for help, they got AT&T to open the port for me.

FTTN has a dynamic DNS address (DDNS) but the lease time is about 7 days long.

This makes it "static" for the most part. If my network goes down for a day or two then I get the same IP address when the network comes up again.
by smjones » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:25 pm
Well thanks for at least being clear, Dane...

I've happily paid for an extra cost static allocation as a Sonic customer (currently Fusion X2) for the past 13 years. I had no reason to expect that this would not be available with Gigabit service, one way or another.

I don't care if it's an IPv6 allocation rather then IPv4 - I might even prefer it - but I really would prefer a static allocation of some kind. Otherwise I'm going to have to re-think pre-ordering gigabit service.
Sonic DSL customer since 2005; previously Speakeasy, PSI (ISDN), back to 24x7 dialup PPP in 1994...
by thomashong » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:36 pm
I don't think sonic really cares. I've seen many posts here about this and we are being ignored. Every time I lost my IP (about couple of dozen over two years on fiber), I have asked nicely each tech support rep if we can get static IPs and nope. It's not even in the pipeline.
by ngufra » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:02 pm
thomashong wrote:I don't think sonic really cares. I've seen many posts here about this and we are being ignored. Every time I lost my IP (about couple of dozen over two years on fiber), I have asked nicely each tech support rep if we can get static IPs and nope. It's not even in the pipeline.
Sonic apparently has a dynamic DNS API but i could not figure out how to use it.

I have a free account at no-ip to resolve my dynamic sonic ip. I have an updater on a local server.
I have a subdomain in my own domain with a cname to point to the no-ip name and with a short ttl.

Works ok for vpn or security cameras server.
by thomashong » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:12 pm
Thanks for the tips! I will look into. Although I rather have sonic offer us static IPs on a business account so I may have my vpn, security camera, web and mail services working.
by sonic user » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:40 am
Just another voice expressing disappointment that your own "business" fiber only has dynamic ips available.

In my view, the 2nd gigabit fiber line is completely useless, but forced on us. I'm used to that from the DSL side and the pricing is still amazing even with the useless (to me) 2nd line. That one I can get over.

However, the lack of static ip availability is completely bewildering to me. For example, how can I run a site-to-site IPSEC VPN with a dynamic IP?

"Use DDNS" seems like a reasonable thing to tell a residential customer, but not a business customer. I'm a very long time Sonic subscriber and I recommend your service to everyone (which won't change), but I'm super confused by the way you setup your business fiber.

Does Sonic offer or recommend a DDNS platform to use with their poorly conceived business fiber? I see one of the other posters referred to a Sonic DDNS API....

Thanks!

And I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just super confused. I'm used to Sonic being much more reasonable about their service offerings. You guys are one of the only non-evil options for Internet service...
by ngufra » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:01 am
See this thread: viewtopic.php?t=5356

Dane suggested https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/DynamicDNS

It seems to have moved here now: https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... DynamicDNS
The json API is here:https://public-api.sonic.net/dyndns

Good luck.

Tell us if you can get it to work for you!

-Francois
by sonic user » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:25 am
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.
by ewhac » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:58 am
Well, this might partially explain why we're not getting static IPv4 addresses:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2 ... -left.html

Dane: I don't know what kind of push-back you've been getting from your upstream provider(s), but it's time to start beating them about the head and shoulders to deploy and route IPv6.
by ngufra » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:17 am
Static or dynamic, you would need the same number ip ip addresses.
It may have been true when people used dialup modem and only connected for a short time, but with fiber, you always have an ip.
30 posts Page 3 of 3