SmartRG->GbitSwitch->Computer == 10x slower than SmartRG->Computer ??

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by ggladsto » Mon May 21, 2018 10:06 pm
I have one computer plugged directly into the SmartRG. When I do any speed test to the WAN on that machine I get ~800-900+ Mbit up and down.

I have a couple other machines plugged into a DLink DGS-1024D Gbit switch that then goes into the SmartRG. Those machines all get ~80-90Mbit when doing speed tests.. If I plug any of those machines directly into the SmartRG they get 800-900Mbit up and down.

If I try and copy files locally between ComputerA->SmartRG->DLink->ComputerB the I get about 11 MB/sec.

If I try and copy the same files between the same machines via ComputerA->DLink->ComputerB I get about 100-110 MB/sec.

It's almost as though the DLink Gbit switch negotiates with the SmartRG at 100Mbit...

Is this likely an incompatibility between the Dlink switch and SmartRG ? I think I have the latest firmware in both..
by wa2ibm » Tue May 22, 2018 8:33 am
Make sure that all the cables that you're using are, indeed, four pairs (all 8 wires). Some cheap cables only have 4 wires (two pair).

Bill
by Guestt » Tue May 22, 2018 2:21 pm
You could try disabling flow control on the switch. Apparently that model has a physical switch on the front panel to enable/disable it. What color are the LEDS? Sometimes the color represents the speed the port is negotiating at. Not sure if that is the case on these models.
ggladsto wrote:I have one computer plugged directly into the SmartRG. When I do any speed test to the WAN on that machine I get ~800-900+ Mbit up and down.

I have a couple other machines plugged into a DLink DGS-1024D Gbit switch that then goes into the SmartRG. Those machines all get ~80-90Mbit when doing speed tests.. If I plug any of those machines directly into the SmartRG they get 800-900Mbit up and down.

If I try and copy files locally between ComputerA->SmartRG->DLink->ComputerB the I get about 11 MB/sec.

If I try and copy the same files between the same machines via ComputerA->DLink->ComputerB I get about 100-110 MB/sec.

It's almost as though the DLink Gbit switch negotiates with the SmartRG at 100Mbit...

Is this likely an incompatibility between the Dlink switch and SmartRG ? I think I have the latest firmware in both..
by ngufra » Wed May 23, 2018 3:30 pm
The switch leds should be orange for 10/100 and green for gigabit.
Do the computer tell you at what speed they are connected? Windows should be able to tell you if it's a gigabit of Fast Ethernet connection.

Make sure you are using the wire. Disable the antenna on the computer to be sure.

How do you connect the switch to the router? it should not matter though as you see the issue between the two computer on the switch.

As Guestt wrote, play with the dip switches on the ... switch to enable/disable flow control or EEE (energy efficient Ethernet)
by ggladsto » Thu May 24, 2018 7:52 pm
As suggested by all of the posters it was indeed a cable problem (light on switch was orange for the cable that was connecting to the smartRG). It was a 10-15yr old cate5e cable- I replaced it with a new cat6 cable and now I get the same speed on all machines!

Thanks everyone!
5 posts Page 1 of 1