Internet service without phoneline

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
21 posts Page 2 of 3
by dane » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:25 pm
wa2ibm wrote:The(re) is an introductory rate for AT&T shared line DSL service from Sonic. After a year, it goes to the standard month-to-month rate. You can call in and ask for a term rate (a year), which is lower than the month-to-month rate, but higher than the introductory rate. At least this is how it worked when I last checked.
The first part is correct - but the second, regarding re-terms isn't. We no longer offer a negotiated re-term rate, the month-to-month after-intro rate is the best rate we can sustain.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by sirr » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:06 pm
Guest wrote:I want Internet service ONLY... NO phone line. If that is possible for home internet connection.

Sonic internet service is available in my area (bay area).
by Phil » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:43 am
The bottom line: If you don't want a phone line, why would you pay for it?
There are solutions without a phone line, so thanks Sonic, but no thanks until you have a package with only what I need and not what I don't want.
by jwermont » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:15 am
wa2ibm (in 2012) wrote:Sorry, no. "Naked DSL" (internet only, no phone) is not available from Sonic, neither through legacy DSL via AT&T (which requires a phone line), nor Sonic Fusion service. In both cases, dial-tone (and phone service, along with the attached taxes) is required.
I wonder whether this is still true 7 years later. Or does Sonic now offer "naked" DSL?

Thanks,
jwermont
by jacob.karinen » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:22 am
Hi Jwermont,

It is still the case. We do not offer internet only services yet. It's something that's been talked about but at this time our service offerings are our Fusion DSL, Fiber, or IPBB services which all come with a phone line. Let me know if you have any questions.
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
by jwermont » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:02 pm
Hi Jacob,

Thanks for responding quickly.

By DSL Fusion, do you mean this one?

This was on your page today, and it is available at my address.

Thanks.
by joeyyung911 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:06 pm
^^
That's fiber, not DSL.
by jwermont » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:21 pm
joeyyung911:

Doesn't Sonic offer a DSL + phone line plan? I found these plans on the sonic.com/availability page, after entering my address.

I've had Sonic as my ISP for years, first as a dialup account, and then DSL. In both cases, I understood that Sonic uses ATT's phone lines to make the connection physically. So if ATT now uses fiber for their phone lines, wouldn't the connection I already have be over fiber?

Thanks.

PS - How are you seeing the image I attached? On my screen, it simply says "Image" where the actual image should be. The word Image is not a link. And I'm looking at this page after I submitted that reply, so any viewer should be seeing what I see.
by joeyyung911 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:12 am
If you currently have Sonic DSL and fiber is available (AT&T or Sonic's), they'll probably transition you to that instead of DSL. Don't think they'll provide the option of DSL or Fiber. I don't know what you currently have, so I can' tell you if your connection is fiber or not.

Yes, I can see the image just fine.
by larns576 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:08 am
Dsl and fiber use different cables to transmit data. Copper lines for dsl and fiber for fiber. I dont think ATT or Sonic will migrate you automatically since fiber will require a new fiber drop & ONT install at the home. You would have to get a new install and cancel the DSL to be on their fiber network. Or keep both dsl and fiber, if you prefer.

I dont think it's possible to send the signals part way thru the new fiber lines on the pole, then convert it back to DSL at the home, if thats what you're asking.

I see the image too.
21 posts Page 2 of 3