Internet service without phoneline

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
21 posts Page 1 of 3
by Guest » Mon May 28, 2012 8:50 pm
I want Internet service ONLY... NO phone line. If that is possible for home internet connection.

Sonic internet service is available in my area (bay area).
by wa2ibm » Mon May 28, 2012 11:33 pm
Sorry, no. "Naked DSL" (internet only, no phone) is not available from Sonic, neither through legacy DSL via AT&T (which requires a phone line), nor Sonic Fusion service. In both cases, dial-tone (and phone service, along with the attached taxes) is required.

You may have to resort to cable internet service, as distasteful as that may be.
by Guest » Tue May 29, 2012 9:16 am
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet without a Phone Line for $19.95.

I was wondering if something similar from Sonic but understand if they don't have anything like that.

I don't need phone line at all and internet usage is not very high.
by wifi » Tue May 29, 2012 7:36 pm
for very low usage - you could check out a couple of cheap wireless services like below and others like them

http://www.netzero.net/
eg. $50 USB stick (must buy a new one each year), $0 month, 200 MB/month traffic

https://ting.com/plans
choose zero voice minutes, zero text, and your data traffic
+ cost of data device
by dane » Tue May 29, 2012 9:23 pm
Guest wrote:AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet without a Phone Line for $19.95.
Don't be fooled, this is just an intro rate. After twelve months, it jumps way up.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:53 am
dane wrote:
Don't be fooled, this is just an intro rate. After twelve months, it jumps way up.
So does Sonic DSL rate. It doubles after a year.
by kbenson » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:34 am
Guest wrote: So does Sonic DSL rate. It doubles after a year.
The DSL product is marketed to be competitive with AT&T. I think Dane's point was that in comparison to Fusion, which costs more initially but is a better class of product with more features (including phone service). It may make more sense to go the fusion route than to be stuck later with something that cost a similar amount but is much less value for your dollar.
by facemelt » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:57 pm
I think a clarification needs to be made here. While the fusion service comes with a sonic.net issued phone line, it does not have to be used. More so, the better point is that you DO NOT need at&t at all for fusion service.
by mbollinger » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:46 am
Guest wrote:
dane wrote:
So does Sonic DSL rate. It doubles after a year.
It does??
by wa2ibm » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:16 pm
The Sonic Fusion rate does not go up. What you pay at the beginning is what you pay going forward. There is no introductory rate for Fusion.

The is an introductory rate for AT&T shared line DSL service from Sonic. After a year, it goes to the standard month-to-month rate. You can call in and ask for a term rate (a year), which is lower than the month-to-month rate, but higher than the introductory rate. At least this is how it worked when I last checked.
21 posts Page 1 of 3