OVPN (VPN) issues...

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
17 posts Page 2 of 2
by tj_smith » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:49 am
Sonic VPN service down?
Router has been unable to connect since 5:02 am.
Phone also can't connect over LTE.
Rebooting modem, router, phone doesn't help.
OpenVPN phone log shows repeated attempts to "Sending PUSH_REQUEST to server" and ultimately connection timeout.
Help!
by js9erfan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:07 pm
tj_smith wrote:Sonic VPN service down?
Router has been unable to connect since 5:02 am.
Phone also can't connect over LTE.
Rebooting modem, router, phone doesn't help.
OpenVPN phone log shows repeated attempts to "Sending PUSH_REQUEST to server" and ultimately connection timeout.
Help!
According to my pfSense logs, Sonic's VPN server stopped responding to client requests around 2:45am this morning and was back online around 8:50am. This is the second time in a month or so this has occurred and I doubt either were planned maintenance windows. One reason why failover is always a good idea.
by js9erfan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:02 am
Looks like the VPN is offline again as of ~2am this morning.
by dwhittaker » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:36 am
It's down for me too as of 7:40am.
by joss » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:53 am
It's been down for me since 20:45 yesterday. Got a "CONNECTION TIMEOUT [FATAL -ERR]" message in the log at 7:33 this morning using the GUI client v 2.7.1.101
by drew.phillips » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:04 pm
There was a VPN outage which may have started around 9:20 PM on November 12th 2019 that our monitors did not detect.

We have opened a support request with OpenVPN to determine the cause and prevent it from happening again in the future.

Thank you for the reports and we apologize for the inconvenience. If a situation like this arises again outside of support hours, there is a second VPN server at beta.vpn.sonic.net which can be used as a fallback. A separate configuration file is needed for the beta server, so you'll need to download and install the profile from https://beta.vpn.sonic.net/
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by js9erfan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:28 pm
If a situation like this arises again outside of support hours, there is a second VPN server at beta.vpn.sonic.net which can be used as a fallback.
Thanks, I had forgotten about Sonic's beta server. Creating a gateway/routing group on pfSense for the two VPN servers pretty much makes this a non-issue now unless both servers go down during the same time.
17 posts Page 2 of 2