Tracking bandwidth hogs, with Sonic pace router?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by digitalbitstream » Wed May 02, 2018 3:22 pm
With the Sonic pace router (e.g. http://gateway.sonic.net/ ) is there any tool to graph bandwidth usage,
per device, either in real time or over averages?
by ngufra » Mon May 21, 2018 9:46 am
With the lack of answers after 3 weeks, i will give you an answer that is not trivial but may help you or give you some ideas.

I do not use the sonic pace router. I use an asus router that has some minimalist graphs for bandwidth usage.

Last time i was trying to figure out what was happening on my network.
I used a cheap tap from dualcomm but an old hub would work or you may be able to configure one of the ports of the router as SPAN.

[i was looking for taps on amazon. There is a throwing star at $16: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XY2TGD/
You will need to capture separately packets coming and going for it sounds like a cool idea.]

I placed the tap between the modem and the router.
I used the free wireshark tool to capture all traffic coming or going to my house for about 5 minutes.

I could see the hp printer checking email for things to print (hp e-print) every 30 seconds, a bunch of RDP attempted connections from Russia, some devices calling home, etc.

I could certainly see if someone was doing 4k netflix !

Good luck.
by oddhack » Sun May 27, 2018 2:41 am
If you're talking about the 5268AC, there are up/down traffic statistics under Settings / Broadband. All you can do is reset them, though, and I'm fairly sure they're just 32-bit counters.
by ankh » Sun May 27, 2018 11:45 am
So, presumably Sonic's taken care of this if needed?
F.B.I.’s Urgent Request: Reboot Your Router to Stop Russia-Linked Malware

Hundreds of thousands of home and office routers have been infected by the malware, which was created by the same group that hacked the Democratic National Committee....
4 posts Page 1 of 1