Service options for 95123, 15k feet from CO

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by jhue » Mon May 21, 2012 12:30 pm
I'm currently in contract on a house in the 95123 zip code. I used the online qualification tool for Fusion and it told me I would be 15k feet from the CO. So I'm guessing that would only be 1.5Mbps at best for ADSL.

It seems then that my only options for higher speeds are Comcast cable internet, or AT&T U-verse. Does it make sense that even though I am so far from the CO, that AT&T could offer up to 10Mbps or more, along with TV over the same pair of wires? Or was that likely an error in their tool, and I really wouldn't see higher speeds than I could with ADSL2+ (and no TV, not that I want it, I'm planning on keeping my satellite TV).
by polpo » Mon May 21, 2012 2:18 pm
High speeds on U-verse are possible because AT&T connects your phone line to a close-by VRAD instead of the CO. The VRADs are scattered through areas served by U-verse, and you can't help but notice them on the curb once you learn to recognize them. Check out the picture in this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video-ready_access_device
2 posts Page 1 of 1