DSL Disconnects Frequently

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by ucb2001 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:26 pm
My Fusion DSL is disconnecting frequently. I called weeks ago when I had issue with speed. I had the ZTE modem and was told by support to switch to something else, a 2Wire from ATT that I had. I am getting really bad disconnects issue although the speed has increased. I was told that possibly a truck might need to come and diagnose the line. Is there anything else that can be done.
by thulsa_doom » Mon May 21, 2012 10:55 am
A quick look at your line shows a lot of upstream errors on the line, and a noise that would be consistent with a wiring problem. The noise could be coming from inside the home or outside, so a test from the MPOE (where the outside phone line connects with the inside wiring) would help narrow things down tremendously. If you have a test jack at the MPOE, you may be able to plug your 2wire in there and we can see if the noise disappears. That's just about the first thing a technician would do upon being dispatched to your residence.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by inver » Fri May 25, 2012 1:14 pm
I have the same issue and have had it for as long as I've been a customer of Sonic, modem loses synch and then reboots.I too have been told there are upstream errors and we have even capped upload speeds which I hate. This issue has come and gone over the years. After about what seemed like a three month absence this issue is back again. In the past I have, changed modems (more than once), the last time I purchased a ZTE modem from Sonic out of desperation, that seemed to help for a time. I have also changed my router, disconnected phones, changed filters, RH-11 cables and stood with one leg in the air whilst holding my nose (okay kidding about the last one). All seemed to help for a time but the problem always comes back.

Now this issue is back with a vengeance happening every day (that I'm here) and almost always in the early afternoon between 11am and 2pm. I also experience this problem occasionally at night. I too have Fusion service. In the past Sonic has notified AT&T and they have checked the line, whatever that means. Is there anyone at Sonic who can make this problem go away or at least give a diagnosis that helps fix this never ending problem? I'm tired of jumping through all the first page tech support exercises, I need a real answer.

Thanks.
by inver » Fri May 25, 2012 4:14 pm
My previous post shows me as a guest which I am not. I forgot to log in before I posted.
by virtualmike » Sun May 27, 2012 8:30 pm
I don't get disconnects, but my downstream rate falls periodically. Unplugging and replugging the modem usually cures that.

2-3 times a week, when I pick up the voice line, I can hear a lot of noise. I'm pretty sure this is due to the lines outside the house. It's probably related.

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out the pattern, and I'm reluctant to call and open a ticket until I know when the noise will happen.
5 posts Page 1 of 1