Best solution to extend wifi / SmartRG

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by ggladsto » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:33 am
Since upgrading from fusion DSL to fiber we have switched to the single Sonic SmartRG router. With the DSL we had been using two devices- an asus WiFi router in the garage where service comes in and a second one in access point mode in a back bedroom that had wired access to the main one. I can obviously set that second one up again but it was also a hassle having separate access point SSIDs for front/back of house and not all client devices are good at switching between the two SSIDs based on signal strength.

Is there a way to keep using the SmartRG as the main access point but extend coverage to the back of the house with another device that keeps the same SSID and lets client device a seamlessly operate wherever they go in the house? Would one of those “mesh” wifi network solutions be a good way to go (remember I have Ethernet front to back).

I stopped keeping up with network tech a bunch of years ago- so thanks for any input!
by guest » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:42 am
Since moving to UniFi APs I'll never go back to consumer grade equipment. They support 2.4 and 5GHz simultaneously under one SSID, fast roaming, band steering, airtime fairness and plenty of other features.... They do require UniFi's software controller to configure them but it's pretty straight forward. I have two wired AC-LRs for my 1600SF home and have been very happy with the result.

I would use the SmartRG for routing (disable WiFi) and a couple UniFi APs for WiFi. Plenty to choose from here including some mesh units: https://www.ubnt.com/products/#default
by ggladsto » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:47 am
Thanks- I went with one of their “in wall” ones (https://inwall.ubnt.com) since I already have gigabit ports in the bedroom walls. I figure since I only need to extende signal within the two back bedrooms it may be fine. Plus it will be super discrete and pass through the gigabit ports to keep wired access available in those rooms too. Pretty much everyone else I asked echoed what you said!

Thanks again
3 posts Page 1 of 1