What are you using for site-to-site VPN?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by faisal » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:46 pm
If you’re using Sonic’s OpenVPN service via a box at your end providing a site-to-site VPN, what is that box at your end? What do you like or dislike about it? What rate are you getting through the tunnel?
by forest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:09 am
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X.

I like the price, the ability to keep up with my current line speed (FTTN x1 minus openvpn overhead), the Vyatta-like configuration, the compact & sturdy build, and the five ethernet ports.

I don't like that its openvpn support is a little dated and is not well-integrated into the GUI or master configuration system, so it requires some linux command line knowledge. (I can handle that, though.)
by faisal » Tue May 01, 2018 12:59 am
forest wrote:Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X.
Have you gotten this to work with the upgraded ovpn endpoint?
by forest » Tue May 01, 2018 3:38 am
If you mean Sonic's recent "upgrade" to ovpn.sonic.net, then no, because it requires a version of OpenVPN that is not yet available on EdgeOS.
by joss » Fri May 04, 2018 8:12 am
I use pfSense running on a Core i5.

I have two wireless routers splitting the network. One is for incoming IP and is the DMZ router connected to AT&T's modem. The other sits behind the pfSense router and handles all of my home internet traffic: streaming and browsing.

I used the dslreports.com/speedtest link for the following results

Measuring speed through the router outside of the pfSense network (and outside the VPN), the data rate is 23.06 Mbs down and 709.8 Kbs up. The pfSense router connects to Sonic through OpenVPN. This network shows 21.76 Mbs down and 1.55 Mbs up. I can't explain why the upload speed is so different outside the VPN. I ran a second test and got 869.1 up.
5 posts Page 1 of 1