AT&T stringing fiber behind my house

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
54 posts Page 5 of 6
by timothee » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:30 pm
Dane, earlier in the thread, you wrote this:
If/when your site is actually offered retail gigabit, check in and lets see if we can offer it to you instead!
What does "check in" exactly mean? I contacted support and sales about this, mentioning this thread, to no avail. They could only offer me what I already have: FTTN.
AT&T has started to offer plain fiber for something like a year now.

As many others in this thread, I want to support Sonic, but at the same time, I currently pay Sonic more for lower bandwidth.

Please help :)

Tim
by APEROTTI28 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:44 pm
dane wrote:
Marin wrote:
dane wrote:
We have made some good progress on leasing ATT fiber to deliver gigabit service. So, if and when their website indicates that they’d be able to deliver a service, let me know and we’ll cross-check.
Dane, would that be limited to San Jose or your comment refers to AT&T's Fiber deployment in the Bay Area in general?
Will that offer be shown in the qualifying tool on the Sonic website or does it require calling Sonic support?

AT&T is closed to be done with the splicing of their Fiber deployment in Mill Valley, so I'm curious.
We are in dialog about wholesale access via their fiber, but it's not final. If/when your site is actually offered retail gigabit, check in and lets see if we can offer it to you instead!
I'm in San Bruno and am on ATT Fiber, but would love to give you my money instead, any possibility? (Sorry I skipped all the posts after this one that I'm quoting)
by gtwrek » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:10 pm
I'm a longtime Sonic (DSL) customer in San Jose - but about a year ago switched my service to ATT's 1Gbs fiber to the home. Sonic only listed 50 Mbps service as available for me. I didn't want to leave Sonic, as I enjoy their service and features.
(In fact, I'm still a customer as I left my domain registration with them)

Well, generally I'm ok with the ATT service - but I'm now down again for the 2nd time in the year I've been with them.
And the soonest appt for a tech roll is 5 days out. Frustrated with this, I'm back here checking again if Sonic offers me better service today - and found this thread.

I understand Sonic would be using the same ATT equipment, and same ATT lines, but darned if I don't want to just go through Sonic, and their (great) support even if all else is the same. Dane indicated some sort of trouble with APIs and other contractual stuff when determining if they could offer me service instead of ATT. ATT has the fiber to my home - it works (most of the time). Anyway I could go back to Sonic?

The Sonic prequal tool still only list 50 Mbps service as available to me..
by bobrk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:32 pm
gtwrek wrote: The Sonic prequal tool still only list 50 Mbps service as available to me..
Dane had mentioned that there are still some problems with the API they use to get to AT&T's products. This seems like a symptom of that.

I check AT&T's website weekly to see when the service strung up behind my house will be available. I hope I can get a correct answer there...
by gtwrek » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:03 pm
Yeah, an "API" to me is a software interface. I was hoping that these troubles were just in the software interface to the prequal tool, and how it queries ATT's database. Letting me, (and Sonic) know whether or not:
* there is a fiber to my home (I know apriori, there is)
* there is appropriate Sonic equipment at the other end of the line (I infer there is, since I was a DSL customer, and also presume the copper and fiber terminate in the same place on the other end)
* other misc "technical" reasons.

And that all the "API" problems were just problems in the qualification.
I've a feeling the "API" problems are more of the contractual, and business and other red-tape type problems however. And I'm well aware that these latter type problems are often the bigger hurdle to solve than the former.

It's all mostly wishful thinking on my part...
by ankh » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:39 pm
> Availability

Weird, as of a week or so ago, the "Check Availability" page suddenly quit working for me.
Not with Firefox, not with Chrome, not with iCab, not with all the antimalware stuff turned off, not with bright shiny new copies of the browsers freshly downloaded.

I put my address and ZIP in and, sometimes, nothing happens (the circle and slash icon appears when I mouseover the check button). Sometimes I see just 'Loading ....' forever.

Support cannot replicate the problem.

And dagnabbit I can see cable-installing trucks down the street so I know somebody's getting close. Just don't know which company it is ....
by bubba198 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:20 pm
Gigapower is available in most of San Francisco today but it is more expensive and well it is AT&T...
by socallongboard » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:01 pm
Any updates on the AT&T API front?
by bobrk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:17 pm
socallongboard wrote:Any updates on the AT&T API front?
Yeah that would be interesting to know. I check the AT&T site for my address weekly but they haven’t hooked up the fiber yet.
by socallongboard » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:26 am
AT&T has already been getting my neighbors onto fiber for months now. Given that I do tech work remotely, I could really benefit from the bandwidth boost, particularly if it's not capped. I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out. If I had a better sense of the timeline for Sonic serving fiber to my neighborhood, it would surely be easier to endure the wait.
54 posts Page 5 of 6