AT&T stringing fiber behind my house

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
54 posts Page 3 of 6
by bobrk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:48 am
HighSt_Noe_94114 wrote: Also, and importantly, would Sonic be leasing/using just the fiber and so providing a 'pure' Sonic service, or would there be AT&T's infrastructure in the loop (especially relating to privacy, monitoring and other neutrality related matters)?
If it's like the current Fusion FTTN service, they have AT&T infrastructure in the loop, even to the point of having an AT&T modem and AT&T IP address.
by dane » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:00 am
bobrk wrote:
HighSt_Noe_94114 wrote: Also, and importantly, would Sonic be leasing/using just the fiber and so providing a 'pure' Sonic service, or would there be AT&T's infrastructure in the loop (especially relating to privacy, monitoring and other neutrality related matters)?
If it's like the current Fusion FTTN service, they have AT&T infrastructure in the loop, even to the point of having an AT&T modem and AT&T IP address.
Yes, that is correct.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by HighSt_Noe_94114 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:07 pm
dane wrote:
bobrk wrote:
Yes, that is correct.
I see. I feared as much.

Dane - are you able to speak to Sonic's broader strategy regarding using AT&T? Is it more of a stopgap measure to accelerate uptake while Sonic continues to fill gaps in coverage, or is the implication that locations with Sonic-over-AT&T availability will be omitted from near-term fiber buildout?

To be more specific, we have Sonic (native) fiber available everywhere in our neighbourhood (High St, Noe Valley, San Francisco), but our street was excluded owing to an overloaded pole. Unfortunately, AT&T did get to that pole before it was overloaded, so they are offering their Gigabit service to us. So far, based on your comments in this thread, we had been holding out hope that Sonic would eventually get PG&E to fortify the pole in question. Now, with the over-AT&T option in play, is any chance of that completely eliminated?

Just trying to get a clear picture of this. Sonic's non-invasive, net-neutrality friendly posture is the one of its biggest strengths, and, indeed, a big driver for us wanting to get on board pronto.
by bobrk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:35 pm
I've been on Fusion FTTN for a couple of years now at least, and I can safely say that the AT&T side of it has not been an issue at all. The speeds I get are exactly as advertised, I've run all kinds of things over it without any throttling, and even when my neighbor's U-Verse's are down, my Sonic over AT&T is still working fine. It's kind of the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, the AT&T DNS servers aren't very good. I wanted to run Sonic's DNS servers, but that's not allowed since I'm outside the network, so I use OpenDNS because it has the best performance.
by dane » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:37 pm
HighSt_Noe_94114 wrote:Dane - are you able to speak to Sonic's broader strategy regarding using AT&T? Is it more of a stopgap measure to accelerate uptake while Sonic continues to fill gaps in coverage, or is the implication that locations with Sonic-over-AT&T availability will be omitted from near-term fiber buildout?
All products that utilize any infrastructure of another carrier are interim, as we continue to expand our market footprint. We need to have a solution to provide internet access meanwhile, both to generate margin to fund continued construction, and to service those consumers in the best way we can - but this does not limit in any way our goals to build to every premise. :)

So if we can deliver Fusion (VDSL2 or ADSL2+ over leased copper), FTTN (VDSL2 with leased IP), or soon a fiber-delivered product with leased IP, please do take that product, as it supports out overall effort. Then when we deliver fiber, we'll switch you over to the end-game product!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Marin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:02 am
dane wrote:All products that utilize any infrastructure of another carrier are interim, as we continue to expand our market footprint. We need to have a solution to provide internet access meanwhile, both to generate margin to fund continued construction, and to service those consumers in the best way we can - but this does not limit in any way our goals to build to every premise. :)

So if we can deliver Fusion (VDSL2 or ADSL2+ over leased copper), FTTN (VDSL2 with leased IP), or soon a fiber-delivered product with leased IP, please do take that product, as it supports out overall effort. Then when we deliver fiber, we'll switch you over to the end-game product!
That's great, but you gotta get rid of the bundled phone! In today's day and age, that's like Netflix saying, 'You can have Netflix streaming, but you gotta take a cable package, too.'
by jessieandrob » Fri May 04, 2018 1:24 pm
dane wrote:
Marin wrote:
dane wrote:
We have made some good progress on leasing ATT fiber to deliver gigabit service. So, if and when their website indicates that they’d be able to deliver a service, let me know and we’ll cross-check.
Dane, would that be limited to San Jose or your comment refers to AT&T's Fiber deployment in the Bay Area in general?
Will that offer be shown in the qualifying tool on the Sonic website or does it require calling Sonic support?

AT&T is closed to be done with the splicing of their Fiber deployment in Mill Valley, so I'm curious.
We are in dialog about wholesale access via their fiber, but it's not final. If/when your site is actually offered retail gigabit, check in and lets see if we can offer it to you instead!
Hi Dane,

I realize this is somewhat of an old thread, but AT&T's online tool shows that their Fiber offerings are available at our address. Any way you might check if we can get this through Sonic? Am on FTTN now and would definitely prefer to stay with Sonic!
by dane » Fri May 04, 2018 4:55 pm
We're still working on this - their API still doesn't work, and they claim they're trying to figure that out. Grr.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by timyu94 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:01 pm
dane wrote:We're still working on this - their API still doesn't work, and they claim they're trying to figure that out. Grr.
Side questions. Any hop of updating offerings from the 25/2 50/6 to the higher upload speed tiers they offer these days (25/5, 50/10). The higher upload would be appreciated if so.
by dane » Fri May 04, 2018 5:11 pm
timyu94 wrote:
dane wrote:We're still working on this - their API still doesn't work, and they claim they're trying to figure that out. Grr.
Side questions. Any hop of updating offerings from the 25/2 50/6 to the higher upload speed tiers they offer these days (25/5, 50/10). The higher upload would be appreciated if so.
Where available, that is likely. But it's still quite unclear, as their API gives zero results for any premise at all. Getting it debugged has taken some time on their side.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
54 posts Page 3 of 6