AT&T stringing fiber behind my house

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
54 posts Page 2 of 6
by dane » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:39 pm
bobrk wrote:
dane wrote:Our main issue today is that premises where we are seeing folks with retail gigabit fiber are not showing as available in the platform API they've provided us, so we're struggling to connect those dots at the moment.
This is a fascinating topic. Has something changed in the industry that AT&T doesn't see competition in you reselling their connectivity now? I thought with the new media (fibre) that all bets were off, that there was no government incentive to allowing access to their new (not legacy) infrastructure.
Ever since broadband forbearance in the late 2000's, everything is deregulated and commercially negotiated. Aside from bare copper loops (Fusion), there's no regulatory obligations.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by oscillatory » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:57 pm
dane wrote:
bobrk wrote:I’m a longtime Fusion FTTN customer in downtown San Jose and I’m torn…
We have made some good progress on leasing ATT fiber to deliver gigabit service. So, if and when their website indicates that they’d be able to deliver a service, let me know and we’ll cross-check.
AT&T have been offering 1Gbps fiber service in our part of Oakland for a few months and their offer makes a lot of sense. According to the website, it appears that this will cost about as much as FTTNx2 through Sonic.

What's the best way to go about checking whether Sonic will be able to resell it?

- Ariel
by dane » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:28 pm
We're working toward that now, but ATT has some API function issues they need to resolve. But when it's live, I'll certainly post here!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobrk » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:41 pm
Spoke to one of the linemen today, and they're still a month or two out before they're live.
by socallongboard » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:02 pm
We have the same situation here in San Bruno. AT&T is currently offering gigabit fiber here. I would REALLY prefer to directing my money to Sonic and not them. I'd love to hear whether Sonic can provide service over the fiber AT&T has already put in place.
by oddhack » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:02 am
Likewise in Alameda. AT&T is offering "Internet 1000" at my address for $80/month, including the modem. Which is cheaper than I'm paying for VDSL x2 at 1/25th the performance from Sonic today. I don't doubt their rate would rise in the second year, but even so the price/performance are compelling.
by dane » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:11 am
oddhack wrote:Likewise in Alameda. AT&T is offering "Internet 1000" at my address for $80/month, including the modem. Which is cheaper than I'm paying for VDSL x2 at 1/25th the performance from Sonic today. I don't doubt their rate would rise in the second year, but even so the price/performance are compelling.
I'm hearing good noises from the ATT folks regarding their API issues for qualification and ordering, so we may be making some progress soon, FYI.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by socallongboard » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:35 am
That's great to hear, Dane! Thanks for the update!
by mquiazon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:42 am
dane wrote: We have made some good progress on leasing ATT fiber to deliver gigabit service. So, if and when their website indicates that they’d be able to deliver a service, let me know and we’ll cross-check.
That's really exciting! The AT&T tool shows availability for 50, 100, and 1G at my location; if you need a guinea pig, I volunteer!
by HighSt_Noe_94114 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:25 am
dane wrote:
Marin wrote:
dane wrote:
We have made some good progress on leasing ATT fiber to deliver gigabit service. So, if and when their website indicates that they’d be able to deliver a service, let me know and we’ll cross-check.
Dane, would that be limited to San Jose or your comment refers to AT&T's Fiber deployment in the Bay Area in general?
Will that offer be shown in the qualifying tool on the Sonic website or does it require calling Sonic support?
We are in dialog about wholesale access via their fiber, but it's not final. If/when your site is actually offered retail gigabit, check in and lets see if we can offer it to you instead!
Dane - AT&T is offering the full gigabit offering at my location (High St, Noe Valley, San Francisco, 94114) ... I'm assuming I'll be able to use the Sonic website availability checker as soon as the API issues have been sorted out, correct?

Also, and importantly, would Sonic be leasing/using just the fiber and so providing a 'pure' Sonic service, or would there be AT&T's infrastructure in the loop (especially relating to privacy, monitoring and other neutrality related matters)?

Can't wait to get onboard!
54 posts Page 2 of 6