Is Cloudflare's new 1.1.1.1 DNS service blocked by the Pace 5268ac?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
13 posts Page 2 of 2
by kellerd » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:18 pm
Hi --

I, too, am an FTTN customer (in Oakland) and am using the Arris BGW210-700 gateway device.

Like you, I would like to choose my DNS servers but the gateway doesn't allow this. It doesn't even show the IP addresses of the DNS servers it does use.

I wrote to Sonic Support and was told, "This option at this time is unsupported. I would suggest navigating to our forums at forums.sonic.net if you haven't done so already."

So here I am.

Why wouldn't Sonic or AT&T enable us to choose our DNS service? How do we know whether they are maintaining block lists of spoofed IP addresses? I would like the ability to protect myself, thank you!

What do you think about this?

Why does Sonic disempower its customers this way?

Thanks!

Dan Keller
by miken » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:55 pm
The DNS programmed into the gateway is just the default that devices will use when on your network - you can however program individual devices to use third party DNS and those settings will override whatever is set in the router.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by fssbob » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:01 pm
1.1.1.1 advertises its privacy features: "We will never log your IP address (the way other companies identify you)". I know Sonic is concerned with privacy as well. Does it make the same no-logging commitment with respect to its DNS servers?
13 posts Page 2 of 2