Need to configure ZyXEL P-663HN-51 for small office network

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by gilliam » Wed May 09, 2012 3:49 pm
Just got set up at my office with the new ZyXEL bonded modem yesterday and need to configure it for static IP addresses on the 4 ethernet ports so I can have my office networked.
Problem is I cannot access the modem using http://192.168.1.1

Does Sonic,net change the address? If so how can I configure this modem to be a router for my internal network?
Thanks for your help, Gilliam
by wa2ibm » Wed May 09, 2012 4:03 pm
Presuming that your computer is connected to one of the LAN ports, try issuing the command "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes) at a command line. This will reveal your computers IP address on the LAN as well as the default gateway address. The default gateway IS the address of the management interface on the modem/router, it should respond when you point your browser at it. If the default gateway is "192.168.1.1", and it doesn't respond to your web browser, there's something fishy.
by gilliam » Wed May 09, 2012 4:15 pm
wa2ibm wrote:Presuming that your computer is connected to one of the LAN ports, try issuing the command "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes) at a command line. This will reveal your computers IP address on the LAN as well as the default gateway address. The default gateway IS the address of the management interface on the modem/router, it should respond when you point your browser at it. If the default gateway is "192.168.1.1", and it doesn't respond to your web browser, there's something fishy.
Thank You, yes i did the ipconfig/all and got a default gateway of 173.228.106.1 which is Sonic.net and the router will not respond to that address. Do I need to take the modem offline to access it?
by wa2ibm » Wed May 09, 2012 4:49 pm
OK, it looks like the modem is in bridged mode, which passes the public IP address straight through to the LAN side of the box and effectively disables the router, making it a modem only. This is the way you'd run it if you had your own router. If you want to use the router function as well, you need to turn off bridged mode.

To access the management interface, you'll have to configure your PC network interface as static, assign it an ip address in the 192.168.1.x range (something like 192.168.1.10), set the default gateway to 192.168.1.1, then point your browser at 192.168.1.1. You should then be able to access the management interface in the modem and turn off bridge mode to enable the router function. Let us know how that goes.

If, on the other hand, you do have your own router, there's a whole 'nother way to regain access to the management interface while the modem is in bridged mode. Let me know.
by Guest » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:06 pm
Thanks. I was looking for an answer to this today. Out of curiosity, how would I access the Zyxel if it's set into bridge mode behind a router?
5 posts Page 1 of 1