FTTN Battery Backup Questions

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by parker_day » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:28 pm
I've done some searching around the forum, but I was hoping to get some recent experiences.

What is everyone using for FTTN battery backup and how long does it last? I have a parent who needs faster speeds but has stuck to Sonic's legacy ADSL service since she has an AT&T POTS line. She really doesn't want to give up her POTS line.

Also, in this circumstance, would Sonic's $10 POTS service be available in addition to FTTN? She might be willing to pay for the extra POTS line and I think it would still be cheaper than he current AT&T offering.
by steelgaze » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:52 pm
You can get the POTS addon or just get some UPS battery backup solution for any computer. a 450/500VA is probably going to be plenty unless the outages are going to be more than 48 hours.
by bobrk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 pm
Yeah, I just went to Wirecutter and bought whatever they said worked for network equipment.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... upply-ups/
by parker_day » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:19 pm
Thank you for the replies.
steelgaze wrote:a 450/500VA is probably going to be plenty unless the outages are going to be more than 48 hours.
Is a 500VA UPS really enough to keep the modem and VoIP ATA going for 48 hours? Everything I'm seeing says that would be more like 30-45 minutes of power.
by dherr » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:47 pm
I don't have backup setup, but both of mine take 12 volt input. A car battery should hold up the two for pretty long without the loss of converting AC to DC.

Just throwing that out for the so it yourself types.
by steelgaze » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:16 am
parker_day wrote:Thank you for the replies.
Is a 500VA UPS really enough to keep the modem and VoIP ATA going for 48 hours? Everything I'm seeing says that would be more like 30-45 minutes of power.
Probably not keep the router up. I assume only the ATRAN will be plugged in, which should have a low enough power draw to keep the phone line active.
by dherr » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:30 am
With FTTN you need both ATA & router up for the phone to work. ATRAN would be for fiber I think.
7 posts Page 1 of 1