Marin Avenue and Martin Luther King (Under-grounding Streets) and Fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
14 posts Page 2 of 2
by AlbanyGal » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:37 pm
I want to know also: SF's rules don't affect Albany's undergrounding project. Is Sonic connected enough to get "in" on the Albany undergrounding?
by digitalbitstream » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:13 am
I got this from Albany public works:

I was not here during the birth and design of this project (dating back to 2010, I believe) but there was initial discussion of City-owned conduit for future use consideration. The City at the time, for reasons I am unaware, decided not to pursue this option.

This utility-undergrounding project is just progress towards removing aerial facility poles in Marin Ave. Had Sonic discussed earlier its options for trenching across Marin Ave, they may have been able to make a case. Unfortunately, they are unable to mobilize a crew quickly enough to coincide with the pavement overlay treatment on Marin coming up in less than (3) weeks.

The side streets to Marin will still have a majority of their poles, if any. Any poles encroaching into Marin Ave. (generally past the stop labels in the street) will be removed.

​Christopher Ablaza, EIT, Assoc. DBIA
Assistant Engineer
City of Albany, Public Works
(510) 559-4271
by WaitingForFiber2 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:32 am
Here's a list of upcoming under-grounding projects. As I understand it all these would block Sonic fiber under current policy:

https://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdfs/ ... ule20A.pdf
by digitalbitstream » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:36 pm
Yeah, well I got the story in Albany. Apparently Council wanted spare conduit placed in this project,
but public works decided it was complicated since the project used "Rule 20B" funds, So they dug up the street, AT&T, Comcast and PGE laid down conduit, and the City repaved. The street is now on moratorium : no new digging for 5-10 years.
14 posts Page 2 of 2