Future Fusion Customer Questions

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by doctorfb » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:38 pm
Greetings, All,
Thanks to this forum, many of my Fusion questions have already been answered, but I still have a few unanswered questions:
I have an existing AT&T number (voice service) at a "new" house (almost finished construction), and an existing AT&T number (voice service) at a rental house (that I currently have Sonic Legacy DSL service on). We knocked down our old house and built a new one. Before the old house was leveled, it had two phone lines. One of which I kept active there (though physically disconnected) while the other I move to a rental house.
So, the new house has a brand-new 5-pair phone cable strung to it, and the one active phone line on it right now.
Now, I fully plan on having two Fusion lines at the new house, once I move the rental number over. But, I won't be able to move the rental number over until mid May, so for the moment, I'm looking at ordering a single Fusion service, but requesting a dual-line capable ADSL modem. From other posts it sounds like the dual-line capable ADSL modems are able to handle single-line usage too, and adding a second line should be fairly simple (with only minor service interruption?).
My questions are:
When the Fusion service is started, I'd like to have Sonic take over the existing phone number from AT&T.
1- Does that mean I won't be paying AT&T any more or will I still be paying AT&T for the physical line access (though no service?) in addition to Fusion service?
2- Do I need to cancel the AT&T service once the switch over has been done or is that account automatically closed out? How does that all work, exactly?
At around mid-May I'll complete my movement into the new house. So, I'd need to cancel the Legacy DSL service, transfer the AT&T voice service over to the new house (I want to keep the phone number, and existing physical lines should make hookup simple) and then order a second Fusion line (which would be pair-bonded with the first Fusion line, and, again, I'd have Sonic take over the phone number from AT&T).
3- Is there anyway to make this process easier to do? Any chance Sonic can handle all this transition for me?
I know I'll get charged by AT&T for the line transfer, it just seems silly to have to pay for that given I'm going to go straight to Sonic there after. It's mostly a question of if Sonic can help facilitate this process or not. If not, that's OK, I'll still do the move.
Full disclosure: I've been a satisfied Sonic DSL customer since 2005, and I expect good things from Fusion, given Sonic's track record (Keep up the great work Sonic!!) :D
by wa2ibm » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:14 pm
1. Your subscription to Fusion includes the copper line charge that AT&T charges to Sonic, so your bill from Sonic will be the only charge you see.

2. When you "port" a phone number away from AT&T, that will automatically cause AT&T to cancel your service and send you a final bill with charges or credits included. Do NOT cancel your AT&T service prior to ordering and having Fusion installed.

3. My suggestion, in order to get the bonded modem, is to order bonded pair Fusion at the get-go at your new location. The second line will be a new number, provided by Sonic. When you want the old number and DSL transferred over, call Sonic to have it ported over to your existing service as the second line. This 'port' will automatically cancel both the AT&T voice and DSL services and replace the temporary number from Sonic. This reduces your interaction with Sonic to two transations.

Although you shouldn't have to contact AT&T to cancel your old services, it's not a bad idea to call them, after the fact, to ensure their billing department has gotten the memo.

Just remember that bonded Fusion service is now a business level service at additional cost (over the old residential bonded service that is no longer available).

Just a happy Fusion customer....
by doctorfb » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:03 pm
Greetings, wa2ibm,
If the 'porting' works as you describe, that will be exactly what I want!
Thanks for the info and suggestion.
3 posts Page 1 of 1