Any numbers from Albany?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
17 posts Page 2 of 2
by stefanl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:37 pm
@thulsa_doom : What does 'MPOE' mean?

I'll try a couple different phone cords, if I have any around.
--
Stefan Lasiewski, stefanco.com
by thulsa_doom » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:02 pm
stefanl wrote:@thulsa_doom : What does 'MPOE' mean?

I'll try a couple different phone cords, if I have any around.
Sorry, the MPOE is the Minimum Point Of Entry, also sometimes called the Demarc or the NID (Network Interface Device). It's the grey box where the phone line from the pole hits your house, or the closet in your building there all the tenants' phones cross-connect, or the pair of bolts stuck into plywood in your basement, but it's where the outside wiring meets the inside wiring. On many residential MPOE units there is a test jack there that's helpful when trying to bypass questionable wiring inside the building.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by kgc » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:39 pm
It may look something like this:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r ... E-Pictures

You can disconnect the house wiring by unplugging the small pigtail and the plug in a phone or dsl modem directly into the jack.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by stefanl » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:09 am
Here's a picture of my MPOE/demarc. This house was built in the 1940s, but this demarc is more modern. It might look like a mess, but \some of the cabling still looks solid. I've had ADSL from PacBell or AT&T since around 2002, and this copper has been good enough to serve those low speeds.

I'm thinking about replacing some of this old wiring, in part because I need a better demarcation point where I can isolate internal vs. external wiring problems. I'm not sure who 'owns' the Demarc.

(The following is an image on Picasaweb, which may or may not work with BBCode):

--
by tamino » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:01 pm
I was able to get a new NID (i.e. gray plastic phone box) from AT&T, for no charge, just by calling them and letting them know the old one was in disrepair.

That plastic box is their property, not yours, so I think they don't consider it to be giving you something for free, they just consider it as necessary maintenance on their own equipment.
by stefanl » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:33 pm
Here's a followup from my situation.

I spoke to Sonic.net support. They requested that AT&T look into my situation, and AT&T fixed something on their wiring. The problem was not with my internal wiring. I am now at 4Mbps down/1Mbps up. Much better.

-= Stefan
Berkeley, CA
--
by stefanl » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:43 pm
Another followup:

Our DSL was still dropping occasionally, and we were getting occasional static on the voiceline.

As you can see above, our MPoE/demarc was pretty old. Sonic.net worked with AT&T, and we got an AT&T to come out and replace our demarc hardware. The tech was here for about 30 minutes and was very willing to talk to me about the situation. He installed a new demarc for me, so now I can do troubleshooting on our own. Next time, the phone tech can test the line using the demarc.
--
17 posts Page 2 of 2