Phone line switch question

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by 1upAce » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:02 pm
I currently have AT&T phone line and have sonic.net dsl. If I were to switch my at&t line to sonic.net would i see a significant speed boost? I live around 5,000 ft away when i signed up for the sonic.net dsl and didn't switch my phone line as well when I ordered. I just have questions as to how long this process takes, are they going to change out any cables, and whether or not my internet speed will increase. I wanted to run ANNEX M to get more upload but unfortunately can't because of at&t still having control of my phone line or something like that when I called support and asked them for help on how to setup for Annex M. I have a modem from sonic.net so I'm pretty sure it has ASDL2
by clairet » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:28 pm
At 5,000 feet, you are very likely to get 15 mbps+ for your download speed. However, there are other factors such as the quality of your internal wiring, the outside copper, or if you live in a multilevel apartment. If you have standard AT&T phone service (not Uverse) and choose to port over your landline number to us, the switch will be done remotely and will take roughly 5-7 business days. About your modem, depending on the model it may or may not be ADSL2+ compatible (you may want to check if it supports Annex M as well). For Annex M, you have to enable it on your modem and we have to enable it on our side too.
Claire T.
Sonic.net Technical Support
by 1upace » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:02 am
thanks for the response. Called for the switch last night. I can only hope for 2.5 upload around there with annex m when it goes through
by clairet » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:14 am
You're welcome! At your distance, it's very likely that you can get 2.5 mbps with Annex M turned on. Possibly even 3 mbps if you have good copper.
Claire T.
by dane » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:25 am
With Annex M, you can expect a pretty large decrease in downstream speed, FYI.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by 1upAce » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:55 pm
dane wrote:With Annex M, you can expect a pretty large decrease in downstream speed, FYI.
Yea I read up on it a few nights ago and I'm fine with that. If there's bad copper for instance can anything be done ?
by clairet » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:47 pm
Sort of. If there is a problem with the outside copper such as a short, bad splice, etc. then AT&T is responsible for repairing it. If the problem is on your internal wiring, in MOST cases we can have one of our installers fix it (it does depend on various factors though and there may be charges). Occasionally, the outside copper is just old so pushing full ADSL2+ speeds stresses out the line too much and may make it unstable. If that is the case, there isn't much that can be done besides cap you at a lower speed. It's not a common occurrence though so if you do have troubles with your line, definitely give our support department a call and we can help figure out the best solution.
Claire T.
7 posts Page 1 of 1