Connecting Google WiFi System 3 Q's

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by jimstinnett » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:08 am
Question 1: If i want, can I connect the Google Wifi System directly to the Optical Line Terminal? Do I need to provide credentials to complete this action?

Question 2: Can I connect the Google Wifi System using a cat6 cable to any port on the Pace Router/Modem? ( I have a TP-Link connected this way As an Access Point) to add coverage to my home, it works well.

Question 3: What happens to my existing SSID when if connect to the Pace Modem/Router? Does it persist independently, and is still available for access?

Note: What I have now are the Main Pace Router, and 2 additional AC750 routers in service as Access Points, connected by cat6 cables I wired to a couple of RJ45 receptacles. I tried adding a 3rd router, with it's own SSID just to service my Roku and DVR, but performance wasn't really any different. So where I am at now, is that I want to reduce the amount of gear to a less Rube Goldberg state.
It would be nice to simply connect the Google WiFi system to the OLT and have one SSID. But I am concerned that some devices may not conform to AC standards, leaving me with all the existing gear, plus the Google Wifi. There is a real lack of good technical documentation on this, of course.
by jimstinnett » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:30 pm
FYI

I had a spot of trouble getting the Google Wifi point to acquire an IP address. My mac table was maxed out, and Sonic Support flushed it for me.

I then connected the Google doodad directly to the Adtran modem (white transceiver, fiber in cat6 out) and ran the installer app. Even my wife could've done it. And she is a Super-Luddite.

All praise to Sonic!

Wicked fast, 603Mps down, at my most distant point.
, and even higher upload speeds. Nice!
by bjbetts » Fri May 08, 2020 11:25 am
Thanks for sharing this Jim, I had the same question.

It sounds like your Google WiFi played nice with the Adtran 411 OTN directly, meaning you went from the OTN RJ-45 jack directly into your Google WiFi router / main point. Is it still holding up and doing fine two years later?

I know Sonic offers fewer services / features if you don't use their recommended routers. But if I can skip one additional piece of home networking gear, I'd prefer that route (less about cost, more about just decluttering the network topology).
3 posts Page 1 of 1