Connecting directly to ONT

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by arronsky » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:51 pm
Hi, I've been a Sonic Fiber customer for a month. Honestly it has been a very unhappy month, as the RG router was incredibly bad- constantly losing connection requiring hard reboot, and even when working, with abysmal wifi range and performance (sidenote: previously had a netgear router in the same location, and the difference was massive).

So I bought a Google WiFi Mesh network, plugged it directly into the ONT (dumped the router entirely), and life is grand. What is the problem with doing this? Yes, I know Sonic won't get telemetry past the ONT. I don't care for that, anyways.

Should I put the Google device behind the router for some good reason, or can I keep rolling just like I am?
by steelgaze » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:10 pm
There's no reason why you couldn't do this, other than getting much more limited amount of support from sonic if you need to troubleshoot.
by Ron Walter » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:08 pm
Is 'RG' the router provided by Sonic? Are you still using the same configuration - (Sonic is modem only plus Google Mesh Network) and are you still satisfied? Thanks
by joeyyung911 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:35 pm
Ron Walter wrote:(Sonic is modem only plus Google Mesh Network)
There is no modem. You can plug any router to the ONT and remove Sonic's equipment from the equation entirely.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
4 posts Page 1 of 1