Fiber in Coffey Park?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
15 posts Page 1 of 2
by nwright01 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:35 pm
I hear that Sonic may be laying Fiber in Coffey Park? Oh, please do! I'll switch from Comcast as soon as we finish the rebuild and recommend you to everyone as they move back in to our neighborhood.
by parker_day » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:35 pm
This very topic was recently addressed in this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5303
by nwright01 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:43 pm
parker_day wrote:This very topic was recently addressed in this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5303
Thank you, and apologies for posting without searching first.

Dane--we're hearing from folks on Facebook that Sonic is doing "directional drilling on their own". We take that to mean you're laying Fiber and residential customers can look forward to Sonic bringing (gigabit) service to Coffey Park?

If this is true, I'd gladly share with my neighbors as we move back and order new service!
by dane » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:54 pm
No, at this point Sonic has no plans to build fiber in the fire re-build regions. We've given our suggestions to both the City and County, as the only feasible hope is that they institute a dig once procedure to assure shared municipal conduit is placed. Absent that, you'll simply get two conduits: AT&T, and Comcast.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nwright01 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:32 pm
dane wrote:No, at this point Sonic has no plans to build fiber in the fire re-build regions. We've given our suggestions to both the City and County, as the only feasible hope is that they institute a dig once procedure to assure shared municipal conduit is placed. Absent that, you'll simply get two conduits: AT&T, and Comcast.
Who can we talk to about making this happen? Someone at the city? I'd gladly make a phone call if it helped us get Sonic as a provider. After all, we all live in Santa Rosa. Shouldn't we of all people get to enjoy Sonic?!?! =D
by dane » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:53 pm
I don't have anyone specific who is deciding on this, sorry. We have provided the suggestion, and example standards. The City and the County would need to implement. And I don't know what the barriers to that might be, or if it is possible or feasible.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by 1666 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:59 pm
The word out there is that Sonic has opted-out of the joint trench, not that there isn't a joint trench. Please find a way to get Sonic service in Coffey park. Our local provider should offer service locally.
by dane » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:35 am
1666 wrote:The word out there is that Sonic has opted-out of the joint trench, not that there isn't a joint trench. Please find a way to get Sonic service in Coffey park. Our local provider should offer service locally.
The two incumbents (AT&T and Comcast) got to be in the joint trench for free, when the subdivision is developed. And now that it is being re-built, they get insurance coverage to pay for their re-build. Sonic cannot join without taking 25% of the cost of the entire utility re-build, and we have no insurance to tap to cover this.

The fix is for the City and County to put into place a dig once policy, meaning the municipality would then have conduit added to the trench while it is open. There's little additional cost to add a pipe while the ground is open, and then the municipality can decide who can use that conduit in the future.

This type of dig once policy in Brentwood has led to 11,000 homes now fiber connected by Sonic, with gigabit service.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nwright01 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:12 pm
dane wrote:
1666 wrote:The word out there is that Sonic has opted-out of the joint trench, not that there isn't a joint trench. Please find a way to get Sonic service in Coffey park. Our local provider should offer service locally.
The two incumbents (AT&T and Comcast) got to be in the joint trench for free, when the subdivision is developed. And now that it is being re-built, they get insurance coverage to pay for their re-build. Sonic cannot join without taking 25% of the cost of the entire utility re-build, and we have no insurance to tap to cover this.

The fix is for the City and County to put into place a dig once policy, meaning the municipality would then have conduit added to the trench while it is open. There's little additional cost to add a pipe while the ground is open, and then the municipality can decide who can use that conduit in the future.

This type of dig once policy in Brentwood has led to 11,000 homes now fiber connected by Sonic, with gigabit service.
Thank you for your detailed responses, Dane. I'll be reaching out as a resident to see if anyone at the city or the county are willing to help. It would be great if we could add Sonic to our options in Coffey Park.
by dane » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:58 pm
Sounds good. Municipally controlled neutral conduit would be a huge win for the community.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
15 posts Page 1 of 2