Speed

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by New Customer » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:54 am
I just signed up with Sonic Fusion FTTN and the speed advertised was 50Mbps but I'm only getting 20Mbps tops, I know for cable broadband lines are shared but it is not the case for ADSL. Any ideas why this false advertising?
by Abused by Trolls » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:20 am
You are lucky to get 20, I only get 12 with the bonded line deal. The resident troll here who thinks he serves the interests of Sonic will soon scold you online here for being stupid like me and not realizing the fine print says UP TO 50 . It all depends on your distance to the Central Office. Just sit tight for a few years and someday your fiber to the home will come.
by cdrayson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:54 pm
Actually, I think FTTN should be faster than that. Did you call customer service? They're very helpful.
by dherr » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:26 am
Yup, if you got the "X2" version of FTTN then you should be getting close to 50 download and 5 or 6 upload.

Can you view your router states to show two lines that are both "up"?

It sounds like "Abused by Trolls" did not get the FTTN service. If he/she did then it really does suck.
by danielg4 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:10 pm
FTTN absolutely guarantees 20Mbps for X1 and 50Mbps for X2. Non-FTTN Fusion is a best-effort speed on either one wire pair (X1, anywhere from less than 1Mbps to around 120Mbps) or two (X2, exactly twice whatever speed X1 would give you).
by pockyken007 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:38 pm
New Customer wrote:I just signed up with Sonic Fusion FTTN and the speed advertised was 50Mbps but I'm only getting 20Mbps tops, I know for cable broadband lines are shared but it is not the case for ADSL. Any ideas why this false advertising?

I would give SONIC a cal and see what's up , you should be getting close to 50 mbps for FTTN X2
by New user » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:42 am
Well when I perform a speed test using their tool it shows close to 50Mbps but when I use speedtest.net I'm only getting close to 20Mbps.
by miken » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:08 pm
New user wrote:Well when I perform a speed test using their tool it shows close to 50Mbps but when I use speedtest.net I'm only getting close to 20Mbps.
I would recommend logging into the modem and seeing what your sync speed is - because that's a concrete number that makes a difference. Speedtests will vary based on line saturation, wireless signal, server selected, etc. Whereas the sync speed is the actual negotiated rate between the modem and our equipment.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
8 posts Page 1 of 1