how do i turn off auto pay?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by kingdis1906 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 pm
does anyone know how to turn off auto pay?
by dane » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:31 am
Just like with Netflix or most other online services, Sonic requires automated payment with a credit card. You can always update one card with another if you need to, in the Member Tools from the Sonic.com homepage.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jasdflkjadslk » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:08 am
Autopay is unnecessary here, and is most certainly not the norm for "most online services" - this is a cynical ploy by Sonic
by cmeisel » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:01 am
Autopay is certainly the norm for most online services, especially streaming ones. To call this a ploy is certainly pretty silly. Sonic offers great service at a very low price and autopay helps them to keep costs for processing these payments down.I don't see how this is a problem at all.
by orm » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:03 pm
jasdflkjadslk,

TL;DR
Unlikely.
I wonder what articulate phrases you would have to describe the likes of Wells Fargo, Boeing, Google, etc...

So,
You think auto-pay is a bad idea for customers of internet service providers? So you just want it shut off within what... 7 days? 21 days? 60 days after you fail to pay? From where do you get your free internet?

Philosophically speaking is autopay "necessary" with most services? No.

Are there people out there that meticulously manage each and every bill and avoid the auto-pay option as much as possible? Yes. I'm toward that end actually, and generally opt out of auto-pay for a great number of important bills, but as I've become busier I find myself using it more, and would certainly opt-in, even if given a choice for my Internet service.

Is it a really good idea to use autopay for the customer and a logical requirement for a service provider in a number of common cases?
YES!

Finally, calling sonic (a for profit company, is one of the most ethical to ever exist) an employer of a "cynical ploy", which is very nearly redundant, while at least unintentionally acknowledging how thoughtful the CEO is for taking the time to organize the company and do things like reply here above, for anything, especially non-obviously and non-ironically since it's not a non-profit, is a stretch; specifically calling sonic cynical for making sure it is paid for these services in the brutal world of ISP monopolies in particular is hyperbolic at best.

LOL
by bearcat68 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:36 pm
The only way that I know as to stop AutoPay at Sonic is to call your credit card company and have them discontinue payments - takes a week before it becomes effective.
by dane » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:20 pm
bearcat68 wrote:The only way that I know as to stop AutoPay at Sonic is to call your credit card company and have them discontinue payments - takes a week before it becomes effective.
That would result in disconnection.

We accept ACH (debit from a bank account), or any Visa or MasterCard, credit or debit. Automated payment via one of these methods is required for our service.

You can change the method used at any time via the billing section of the Member Tools website, found in the upper right portion of the Sonic hole page.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by lizsinna » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:06 pm
What I am annoyed at is that the payment gets processed 5 days before it is really due. Sonic, why is this??? For example it will auto pay July 19th yet the statement due date says July 24th.
by brandonc » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:46 am
lizsinna wrote:What I am annoyed at is that the payment gets processed 5 days before it is really due. Sonic, why is this??? For example it will auto pay July 19th yet the statement due date says July 24th.
Our system is automated to bill 5 days prior to the due date in order to allow a 5 day interim period if a payment doesn't go through. This gives us time to notify the customer that their payment was declined before it can go overdue as well as to give time to the customer to switch their payment and/or contact their financial institution to clear up any issues there.
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by dane » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:46 pm
The payment schedule is something we will be changing soon. For failed payments as Brandon notes the goal was to give some time before a late fee would be applied. As we adjust the payment schedule, there won’t be late fees, we’ll instead just have a few days grace period and then the service will go to a portal page so folks can update payment info. So - changes coming soon that should address the concern.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
14 posts Page 1 of 2