Fiber to San Anselmo?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 2 of 2
by ukemike » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:44 pm
That is what we have, the Sonic FTTN, and since this thread was new we upgraded to the 2 line setup. Now our theoretical top speed is a whopping 6mb/s. Typically we get around 5mb/s. Whoop de doo! Seriously my in-laws in Manila have much faster much cheaper internet.
by ukemike » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:47 am
Well, I've done it. Earlier this week I called the evil Comcast. For years I've been with Sonic on the X2 plan. Though I am basically in downtown San Anselmo we are apparently remote enough that we get a max of about 7mb/s. I love Sonic. Whenever I have had a service issue the response has been nothing short of fabulous. But with my wife and I working from home and my son schooling from home we are all running into times when our various online work stalls or becomes unusable. For years now we've had to ration streaming, for instance my son is not allowed to stream from 9:30 to 10:30pm when my wife and I watch our daily show together.

I've already had terrible customer service with Comcast (they wanted me to stay on hold for an estimated 6 hours), but the best Sonic can deliver to me falls short of our current minimum needs. Once I get the Comcast stuff installed and running I'll be calling Sonic to disconnect.

I despise Comcast for their abominable service, lies, and their filthy proto-fascist politics, but I have to continue to work during this epidemic. I have to admit I am looking forward to having something that approximates modern internet speeds. I chose the 100mb/s plan for $35/$55 a month.

For anyone that has to make the same unpleasant choice, I learned one thing this week. The way to get better service from comcast is to start every interaction with them by saying you want to cancel your service. They send you to customer retention where they have shorter wait times (~10 minutes instead of 6 hours), and those folks can get stuff done.

There are few companies that I like the way I like Sonic, so you should call me when you roll out fiber in San Anselmo. I'll switch back then.
12 posts Page 2 of 2