Fiber to San Anselmo?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by ukemike » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:14 pm
I feel like we've been passed over. SF is getting fiber. But Marin is in the boonies. Any chance San Rafael will get fiber? Our Fusion speeds are disastrously slow. Best I've ever seen is 3000mbit/sec.
by Marin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:44 am
I believe there was mentioning in other threads that Sonic isn't going after locations where AT&T is deploying Fiber already, unless Sonic had started it's Fiber deployment in such locations already.

Since AT&T has been pretty active in covering Marin with Fiber, based on what was previously stated by Dane, you can count out Sonic Fiber in Marin.
by San Anselmo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:52 am
I second this. I really feel like Marin has just been completely skipped. I haven't even seen the previously mentioned AT&T fiber or gotten any word of it in locations between San Rafael and San Anselmo. What do we need to do to get Sonic to notice us? Sticking with Comcast has given me and my businesses headaches on almost a daily basis now. Help us Dane!
by joss » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:32 am
I'm a week late to this topic. But I would also appreciate a definitive "Marin ain't gonna happen" or "Marin, someday" from Sonic. I'm now using FTTN (1X) but I always held out hope that eventually all Sonic customers would get upgraded fiber. Is this not the case?

IIRC FTTN is not a profitable service for Sonic but was a stopgap measure to keep customers.If this is true, and if Marin is not going to get Sonic fiber, will Sonic then drop Marin customers someday?
by phoenixrevived » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:02 pm
Well, I called AT&T about their fiber, and after listening to a bunch of marketing spiel, I was told that I would get fiber, but with 10mbps!!! This is for what they are calling a gigabit connection. So, if fiber is coming from AT&T to Marin, it isn't coming in any great speed - and it isn't unlimited.

Right now I am getting 250mbps from Xfinity with a 1TB limit per month. After that, it is $10 per 50MB.
by Marin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:44 am
phoenixrevived wrote:Well, I called AT&T about their fiber, and after listening to a bunch of marketing spiel, I was told that I would get fiber, but with 10mbps!!! This is for what they are calling a gigabit connection. So, if fiber is coming from AT&T to Marin, it isn't coming in any great speed - and it isn't unlimited.

Right now I am getting 250mbps from Xfinity with a 1TB limit per month. After that, it is $10 per 50MB.
That sounds like a misunderstanding. Once you get Fiber, there is no more limitation as there is with old-fashioned DSL, and I'm pretty certain you would not be limited to 10mbps with it.

In comparison to Comcast, the AT&T Fiber will provide the same Up and Download speed, so 50Mbps/50Mbps, 100Mbps/100Mbps, 1Gbps/1Gbps, and it isn't as Comcast cable is. So vastly superior to what Comcast is deploying/offering at this point.
by mikeb » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:36 pm
At least at my address ATT does not offer fiber, according to their web form. I'm afraid that I'm really considering going back to Comcast. I quit comcast years ago and switched to the slower att dsl because I hated comcast so much. I quit att and went to Sonic because I hated att so much. Sonic has certainly provided better service over the same lines, but I've lived here a decade with the same speed internet, 1-2mb/s. That used to be enough. But if just one of us is streaming something there is little bandwidth left for the rest of us.

For not quite twice the money I think I can still get a second sonic line to potentially double my speed, or for similar money to what I pay now I can get Comcast, promising something like "up to" 60mb/s. Even if the only give me 10% of what they promise it'd be about three times as fast as what I have.

It's very frustrating since I'd rather not do business with Evil Incarnate. I really like Sonic and their politics, but this bandwidth just doesn't cut it anymore. )-;
by ukemike » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:38 pm
At least at my address ATT does not offer fiber, according to their web form. I'm afraid that I'm really considering going back to Comcast. I quit comcast years ago and switched to the slower att dsl because I hated comcast so much. I quit att and went to Sonic because I hated att so much. Sonic has certainly provided better service over the same lines, but I've lived here a decade with the same speed internet, 1-2mb/s. That used to be enough. But if just one of us is streaming something there is little bandwidth left for the rest of us.

For not quite twice the money I think I can still get a second sonic line to potentially double my speed, or for similar money to what I pay now I can get Comcast, promising something like "up to" 60mb/s. Even if the only give me 10% of what they promise it'd be about three times as fast as what I have.

It's very frustrating since I'd rather not do business with Evil Incarnate. I really like Sonic and their politics, but this bandwidth just doesn't cut it anymore. )-;
by ukemike » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:14 pm
I've just spent the last half hour reading the comments about comcast on the consumer affairs website. I cannot go there. They are criminals from top to bottom. This is so depressing. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, the tech center of the universe, and in a pretty well-to-do area too, but my relatives in the Philippines get better and cheaper internet service. :roll: :cry:
by Marin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:49 am
ukemike wrote:At least at my address ATT does not offer fiber, according to their web form. I'm afraid that I'm really considering going back to Comcast. I quit comcast years ago and switched to the slower att dsl because I hated comcast so much. I quit att and went to Sonic because I hated att so much. Sonic has certainly provided better service over the same lines, but I've lived here a decade with the same speed internet, 1-2mb/s. That used to be enough. But if just one of us is streaming something there is little bandwidth left for the rest of us.

What is the current speed for your address on the AT&T website? If it is 25 Mbps or even 50 Mbps then you may be able to get Sonic FTTN, which is the resold AT&T wholesale product, with the Sonic service.

As for AT&T Fiber, it is not live yet AFAIK. But you should see large loops of cable hanging on some of the poles around town, and cables with big red tags on them. It probably will take another month or two before all the cable splicing is done and before it is starting to become available at people's addresses. So keep checking.
12 posts Page 1 of 2