West Sebastopol Fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by gravensteingrill » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:17 pm
Hi Dane & Everyone,

I'm a commercial subscriber on the west side of Sebastopol on Bodega, as well as a residential subscriber in the same neighborhood. For a customer facing business where everyone wants to use our wifi, our speeds are pretty slow on DSL (not to mention slowdowns for our actual business operations). We REALLY REALLY don't want to switch to Comcast, and I was wondering whether you had any updates on when you'd be expanding fiber west to the 8000s of Bodega Ave. We're right around Bodega & Pleasant.

Thanks for any info you could give. I tried looking up maps, but the latest expansion maps I could find from you guys were from 2012.

-Brandon
by Jonshmon » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:58 pm
+1
by Jonschmon » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:54 pm
Sonic crews have been working all week running fiber under Ragle Road around the intersection of Ragle & Valentine — at least, that’s what they appear to be doing.

I am holding my breath and super excited that a West Sebastopol fiber expansion might be finally under way.

Is anyone knowledgable able to confirm this and provide more details? I tried calling both Sonic and the City of Sebastopol. Neither had any info.
by dane » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:34 am
Jonschmon wrote:Sonic crews have been working all week running fiber under Ragle Road around the intersection of Ragle & Valentine — at least, that’s what they appear to be doing.

I am holding my breath and super excited that a West Sebastopol fiber expansion might be finally under way.

Is anyone knowledgable able to confirm this and provide more details? I tried calling both Sonic and the City of Sebastopol. Neither had any info.
Sorry, no info on expansion at this time.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by phthysic » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:30 am
I have seen the same lines at that intersection, and am very hopeful. I live on Ferguson, a bit down from that intersection, and beg to have fiber extend down to my area of West Sebastopol. I work from home, and need high speeds for my work, but hate giving Comcast any of my money. I love that Sonic has a conscience, and would love to personally support the business.
by guest » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:01 pm
Yep, we are in the same boat. I also live just off Ferguson Rd. Right now I have FTTN service that goes through ATT and is held to a specific speed. I'm hoping Sonic will have its own Fiber to the box at Mill Station and Ragle RD and can then offer us a higher speed. I don't ever see us getting gigabit speeds as the house are to far apart to be economically feasible. As I understand it Sonic has to pay for each pole it uses and it is just too much of a stretch to get us up to the speed we all desire.

Maybe if a sugar daddy offered to pay for all the connections we could join in. I remember when we got Comcast in the neighborhood. Comcast had no interest in us until some small cable company from Bodega Bay was showing interest in getting us cable TV. Immediately Comcast threw a big loop from downtown Sebastopol out to Barnett Valley Road. It took one day to wire the whole neighborhood. I could use Comcast but I have no interest as the rates would just go up and up and if I was a power user, I'm not, they would throttle my speeds down to nothing aka dial up days.

Bill Barrett
by pallos » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:11 am
My hopes are steadily rising too. They're right in front of my mailbox today on Ragle Rd and they brought a good 7-8 trucks all up and down the street today. Tempted to go out and ask the workers but Sonic seems to have some kind of hush-hush angle on their work out there so doubtful they'd divulge anything to me about it other than "routine maintenance" or something along those lines. Can't think of anything other than full on fiber installing though that would take so much manpower and equipment :)
by gravensteingrill » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:05 pm
dane wrote:
Jonschmon wrote:Sonic crews have been working all week running fiber under Ragle Road around the intersection of Ragle & Valentine — at least, that’s what they appear to be doing.

Sorry, no info on expansion at this time.
Well I guess "No Info" is better than a straight "No"...
by pallos » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:24 am
I asked the workers (with their non Sonic trucks) yesterday. They told me they were installing fiber for Sonic. The fiber would be fully installed by the end of the day. Sonic would still need to send out the splicers before it would be available for us. Very happy news!

Side note. They were blocking our driveway with their truck. They asked me if I wanted them to move their truck. I said "No, if you are installing fiber, you do not need to move your truck. I just want my fiber!"
9 posts Page 1 of 1