Does Fiber include a 'real' phoneline, or does it use VOIP?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by stefanl » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:02 am
I live in earthquake country, and prefer the reliability of a 'real' traditional phoneline. My research shows that a real phoneline will probably be more stable than VOIP phones and cell phone networks for phonecalls. With Sonic Fusion DSL, I still kept a wired phone near my bedside table and it worked after every earthquake and power outage over the last 15 years.

Does the Sonic Gigabit Fiber option include a real landline, or will I still need a VOIP adapter to connect to my phones?
--
Stefan Lasiewski, stefanco.com
by steelgaze » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:14 am
You don't need an adaptor but I would reckon it is VoIP based. It's definitely not POTS.
by miken » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:23 pm
You get VoIP with our Gigabit Fiber. A UPS for utility power backup is available for $99, If you want one it'd be installed during the initial deployment. Note that it backs up the whole ONT, so voice and data are both kept online for 8-12 hours.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by kgc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:45 pm
Just to clarify, the voice services on Fiber are carried through our network as VOIP but the ONT provides POTS service towards the customer. Customer's may not register their own SIP devices. The ONT can (and arguably should) be paired with a suitable UPS - the run time of which should be based on your own tolerance for a voice service outage. Don't forget to pair it with a wired telephone or a wireless set protected with another UPS.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by ngufra » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:32 pm
It would be really nice to be able to use our own SIP client, either only from within my specific fiber line or anywhere.
It would allow me to pickup my home number from a sip client on my cell phone at work! I understand the risk of abuse though.
Could be enabled only for receiving ?

Currently, we like the rate to land lines in france (free)
rate to cell phones in france used to be expensive (it seems to be a lot cheaper now) and we use an alternate voip provider (future-nine) on a linksys PAP2 adapter.
by forest » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:07 pm
ngufra wrote:It would be really nice to be able to use our own SIP client
Yes, please! As long as you're forcing me to pay fees for a phone line that I don't want, at least let me use my nice SIP phone instead of an antiquated POTS device.
6 posts Page 1 of 1