Wireless Printing with Comtrend 5631

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by msako » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:08 am
Is there anything special I need to setup to allow for a wireless networked printer to be discovered? I have a standard Brother wireless printer that seems to be getting a DHCP address and talks to the correct SSID, takes the key correctly and seems to be on the network but it can't be pinged or discovered by any other machine on the network, including Linux.

-mitch
by joemuller » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:01 am
Not sure on the Comtrend routers, but on Linksys ones, there's often an option called 'AP Isolation' that keeps WiFi and wired clients from talking directly to each other. If your printer has a wired LAN connection, try using that to determine if the printer is reachable via the network at all.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by msako » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:55 pm
I'll check when I get home today. It worked before with the Netgear modem/switch and stopped working when I installed the Comtrend. I don't know if this is coincidence or not. The printer does talk to the wireless network and it does get a DHCP address with a 24-hour lease. I can't ping anything but I suspect ICMP is blocked on the Comtrend.

BTW, how to you unblock (if it is blocked) different protocols on the WLAN on the Comtrend?
by msako » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:00 pm
My Comtrend died so they are sending me a new one next week. But.....I put my Netgear back in and I can see the printers again. That tells me that the Comtrend was blocking the print services via WLAN. There must be a setting on the Comtrend that needs to be adjusted. I'll search for it when I get my replacement.
4 posts Page 1 of 1