Any luck with fiber internet transmitting throughout the house?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Kldempsey » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:26 pm
I am new to fiber in San Francisco. I live in a small (1,000 square foot) home in the Sunnyside.

Has anyone had luck with extending their fiber throughout the house? I have it in 2.5 rooms. It misses the TV, so streaming is impacted and I cannot get it in the bedroom or downstairs. An extender might be available someday, but it is not available now. Any advise you have would be appreciated.
by cycloscott » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:28 am
What do you mean by "It misses the TV"? Does your TV have a network port for streaming, or are you using another device to stream?

I'm guessing that your fiber service includes a wifi router., and likely 4 wired ports. (fiber isn't available in my area yet, so I'm making an assumption about the hardware) Unless you have a lot of interference in your house, the wifi should be plenty strong enough to support a number of streams. Check your wifi signal and consider changing the network channel to avoid interference from nearby networks. If that's not the issue, you can either run ethernet cable to the locations that you need, or use a range extender to boost the wifi signal. There is zero benefit to trying to extend service as "fiber" since the bandwidth is identical to a gigabit ethernet cable.
by danielg4 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:38 pm
Hi, neighbor! These Edwardian houses are dead-simple to wire up. I went down to Palo Alto to Fry's and got a 100-meter spool of white Category 6 Ethernet cabling for $70. Pulled out a floorboard outlet box and fed it from the front bedroom down into the garage, where it's now stapled overhead, running through the partition twice to two separate spots in the rear-of-the-garage addition, hard to reach with Wi-Fi. This joins the older Category 5e cabling I installed in 2001, which I purchased in the day at Radio Shack on West Portal, running from the ONT to where I put the router in the front bedroom, and from there, back down into the garage passing behind that same outlet box, stapled overhead, and back up into the living room and rear bedroom. I crimped my own connectors on the ends, and I still have at least 25-30 feet of Cat6 cabling left over in the box, by my calculations.
by cdrayson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:09 pm
Is your router close to the center of your home? If not, try moving it. Also, is your wifi split so you can see both a 5 Ghz and 2.4 GHz network? The 2.4 will penetrate walls and ceilings better. Customer service can help you with setting it up for the 2.4 if you're using their router.
4 posts Page 1 of 1