what does a FTTN install entail?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by astroron » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:48 pm
let me first say that i would like to be a FTTP customer, but it looks like neither sonic nor ATT have reached this neighborhood (the utilities are all underground here, so i wonder if they ever will.)

i have in the past been a covad/earthlink/ATT DSL customer, and to my knowledge the DSL line was connected to the CO which is ~9000 feet away. this resulted in ~2mbit speeds.

since the resold ATT service seems to be available in this neighborhood, i'm wondering what the installation entails. i have 4 twisted pairs coming into my house which i believe first appear to the world in a switch box down on the main road. if i sign up for FTTN my understanding is that 2 of these pairs will be disconnected and somehow connected to a VRAD. is that correct?

what is the customer premises equipment and where does it have to be installed? is it the same as a DSL modem? meaning, if i can hook up 2 of those pairs at the telephone box on the side of my house to 2 pairs that appear in my office, can i install the CPE equipment there? or does it have to be installed at the side of the house?

how accurate is sonic's availability tool? the claim is that 50mbit service can be supplied, but i'm a little skeptical.

thanks!
by miken » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:03 am
A technician will be coming out on the day of the install to do any work needed on the lines and set up the CPE. Where the CPE can be installed depends on the pre-existing wiring, but you can usually pick one of your phone jacks to have it installed at. The 50Mbp/s is pretty accurate as the service is Fiber Optic for the big stretch and only copper the last couple hundred feet. You'll usually see somewhere between 45-55Mp/s.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by astroron » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:15 am
thanks - and is it correct that this will require two twisted pairs?
by miken » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:28 pm
Not necessarily. This service is a little bit different than our Fusion X2 as we are buying a speed tier from AT&T. Sometimes this can be achieved on one pair while at other locations this requires two.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by astroron » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:00 pm
thank you again. the problem is i don't think there is a VRAD anywhere near my place. it's possible that the closest one is about 2000 feet away based on where i've seen AT&T doing maintenance in the past. and the utilites are all underground in this neighborhood, so i'm not sure how you'd pull the copper from that point to my house (is that something that is even done in an underground location?) as mentioned i'm pretty sure all the copper in my house terminates at a junction box that's already 1800 feet away from my house (in a completely different direction as the possible VRAD.)

anyway thanks for answering my questions. is there anyone in pre-sales that is technical enough to talk about this situation over the phone? it might be easier. i don't want to get into a situation like i did with ATT where they tried to install DSL and could never make it work. it would be better to suss it all out before placing an order.
by virtualmike » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:03 pm
My FTTN only requires one pair and I get 50 Mbps service.
by astroron » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:08 am
virtualmike wrote:My FTTN only requires one pair and I get 50 Mbps service.
thanks. i guess what bothers me is that ATT's tool says only 25MBit is available here, which contradicts sonic's tool. there has to be some reason for that discrepancy, unless ATT is simply trying to set low expectations.
by virtualmike » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:01 pm
It's difficult to say why AT&T claims a different top rate. The good news is that if you're dissatisfied with the service within 30 days, you can cancel the service and get out of the contract. In other words, you have little to lose by trying!
by astroron » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:34 pm
one further question:

i punched in some addresses immediately surrounding my house and i sometimes get 50mbit/s and sometimes 20mbit/s. i see that the 20mbit/s service is $50 per month while the 50mbit is $70/month. if it turns out that 50mbit/s can not be delivered to my house, can i downgrade tiers despite having placed the order over the web for 50mbit service? i don't see an option to downgrade at the outset...

thanks!
9 posts Page 1 of 1