Sonic Fiber -- question about "RG Rental"

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
36 posts Page 3 of 4
by coyote2 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:22 am
dane wrote:IPv6 dual stack is coming soon, so v6 firewall is important. The Sonic supplied gear has wire speed v4 and v6, FYI.
Thank you very much for your helpful reply, Dane!
(I'm blown away that Sonic's CEO is even here in the forum.)

I'm happy to see that my current router already has an IPv6 firewall.
by aanon4 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:22 pm
dane wrote:IPv6 dual stack is coming soon, so v6 firewall is important. The Sonic supplied gear has wire speed v4 and v6, FYI.
Any update on IPv6? I currently run IPv6 at home via a tunnel, but it'd be nice to go native once fiber is installed.
by dane » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:57 am
We are making progress, albeit slowly. IPv6 compatibility issues are amazing, I'd hope at this point that all vendors would have it all working, but there are many interop issues and bugs with IPv6 in equipment. We're ironing those out, still.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ezbuckets » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:53 pm
I am interested in Sonic and am looking to get it soon, but don't want to pay for the $10 RG rental. Is there a way to avoid this fee if my router is a tplink AC1750 and capable of withstanding gigabit interent?
by alxyang24 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:17 am
Its a little confusing, but you do not need to pay the RG fee if you don't want the RG router. There is no more modem with sonic gigabit, you get an ONT which is kinda like a modem in a sense, but that is covered under sonic's base price and is not a separate fee.

If you get in with the new promo's, the RG is "free" for the first 12 months because you get charged for the $10, but then also credited back $10 as part of the promo (but if you don't rent the rg, you don't get the promo $10 off).
by cmeisel » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:40 am
And you can also rent eero mash network units instead of the RG rental. I assume the same $10 will apply.
by ezbuckets » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:31 pm
alxyang24 wrote:Its a little confusing, but you do not need to pay the RG fee if you don't want the RG router. There is no more modem with sonic gigabit, you get an ONT which is kinda like a modem in a sense, but that is covered under sonic's base price and is not a separate fee.

If you get in with the new promo's, the RG is "free" for the first 12 months because you get charged for the $10, but then also credited back $10 as part of the promo (but if you don't rent the rg, you don't get the promo $10 off).
Thank you so much
by danielg4 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:32 am
ezbuckets wrote:I am interested in Sonic and am looking to get it soon, but don't want to pay for the $10 RG rental. Is there a way to avoid this fee if my router is a tplink AC1750 and capable of withstanding gigabit interent?
The TP-Link AC1750 doesn't even come close to being "capable of withstanding gigabit internet" at all. I'm using one purely as a WiFi extender for that reason.
by corysfo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:56 am
aanon4 wrote:Any update on IPv6? I currently run IPv6 at home via a tunnel, but it'd be nice to go native once fiber is installed.
May i ask how you went about getting this to work? i have a tunnelbroker (HE) account, and am using a Unifi USG router, but i can't seem to get it to work properly. If you're willing to give me a little help, maybe we can take it private, since this is outside the scope of this thread. :)

Thank you! :-D
by jsbeddow » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:21 pm
I am super happy to have found this thread while waiting for my fiber installation: I had been under the assumption that I would need to follow the known "trick" for bypassing the Pace RG (used for authentication when signed up on the AT&T fiber network), having to install an unmanaged switch and temporarily using the Pace RG before moving the connection over to my own router. One more reason to be stoked about my Sonic install....and if I can just return the Pace device right from installation day, and stay locked into the basic rate without the $10 rental fee, so much the better!

EDIT: now I can't be sure that I can drop the rental of the Pace RG...this thread and reply from Dane seems to indicate the opposite:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8366
36 posts Page 3 of 4